• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Is this how a brand new Radar EV Path Clear To Black Iridium Photochromic Lenses, Steel Frame suppose to look, not completely clear lens & logo faded?

OkeyDokeyOakley

Oakley Beginner
Hey everyone! I'm new to the brand, so I don't know what to exactly expect, but I just got my first Oakley pair and I'm quite disappointed! (purchased brand new from Oakley's official legit online store)

I purchased the Radar EV Path Clear To Black Iridium Photochromic Lenses, Steel Frame. (link insert here: Oakley Radar® EV Path® Clear to Black Iridium Photochromic Lenses, Steel Frame Sunglasses | Oakley® US)
Right after unboxing I tried the glasses on indoors, (curtains closed to block floodlight and with only bedroom light on), right away I noticed that the lens had a slight dark tint as opposed to being COMPLETELY 100% clear or transparent. I was expecting the base lens to be completely 100% clear when worn INDOORS (no floodlight whatsoever) and that the lens would ONLY darken if worn outside in direct sunlight. I purchased the item because in the photos listed on the site, the base lens appears to be completely clear.

However this is misleading, unless I was given the incorrect lens.

Me being new to the brand, is this how the lens are suppose to be for the Radar EV Path Clear To Black Iridium Photochromic Lenses, Steel Frame?

And another question, why does the logo etched on the lens look faded? Is the logo supposed to look like this?

* (The 3rd photo that I attached is a flash photo I took of the glasses completely in the dark covered under a blanket)

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:
That lens doesn't go fully clear. Only 31% light blockage at its "clearest" according to Oakley (see screenshot below) . As far as the "faded" etching, some of mine look similar to that.

Screenshot_20230215_195256_Samsung Internet.jpg

So what your seeing as far as the tint appears to be the black iridium. The lens on the box is clear 50% black irid (iridium) photo (photochromic) my guess is the iridium coating could also be giving it that effect.

That lens doesn't go fully clear. Only 31% light blockage at its "clearest" according to Oakley (see screenshot below) . As far as the "faded" etching, some of mine look similar to that.

View attachment 1033161
hmmm...... here it states how much light this lens stops.......... most other places on Oakley's website it says how much light the different lenses lets through.
a bit (very) confusing.

isn't that right?

hmmm...... here it states how much light this lens stops.......... most other places on Oakley's website it says how much light the different lenses lets through.
a bit (very) confusing.

isn't that right?
Yeah... But it's LUX. They can't seem to be consistent in anything they do.

The photochromic lenses should be completely clear without UV light. I have two pairs of Radar EV's with photochromic and both are like that. So, no, yours doesn't seem normal.

But try them outside in bright sun; they should turn almost completely black.

Charles

The photochromic lenses should be completely clear without UV light. I have two pairs of Radar EV's with photochromic and both are like that. So, no, yours doesn't seem normal.

But try them outside in bright sun; they should turn almost completely black.

Charles
That is incorrect. Check out the spec sheet I uploaded earlier. It may SEEM fully clear but it's not.

Latest Posts

Back