• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Is This RARE/NON PRODUCTION/PROTOTYPE JULIET Legit?

I don't think that anyone in their right mind would ever tell you that you are an idiot for NOT paying $500-700 for a pair of sunglass frames that outside of our unique, parallel universe are virtually worthless. Not when $500-700 has tremendous value outside this universe. No, I think ya done good!

Good point. Most people I know think $100 for sunglasses is crazy. $500 for a used pair? My coworkers have learned to stop asking how much they cost.

Maybe he thinks if it sits there long enough someone will get tired of looking at it and hit the button?

To me his stuff looks like some home done anodization, and not of particularly good quality. i Have done some myself and its not particularly hard or exensive. Here is a nice little writeup on on how MrTitanium's Basic Titanium Anodizing Instructions. The purple looks like it was done at 72 volts, the blue at around 30 volts. To me it dosent look like they were cleaned properly, so the the finish is blotchy and uneven. Personally, i would think if oakley was testing out different colorways they'd have a proffesional company come in and do it, these look like they were done in somebodys garage.

To me his stuff looks like some home done anodization, and not of particularly good quality. i Have done some myself and its not particularly hard or exensive. Here is a nice little writeup on on how MrTitanium's Basic Titanium Anodizing Instructions. The purple looks like it was done at 72 volts, the blue at around 30 volts. To me it dosent look like they were cleaned properly, so the the finish is blotchy and uneven. Personally, i would think if oakley was testing out different colorways they'd have a proffesional company come in and do it, these look like they were done in somebodys garage.
I don't think its even anodized. Anodizing has a much thinner mil finish and a different sheen that is totally dependent on surface polish or smoothness not that we will likely ever get the straight dope on this. To me they look 100% painted, i've even seen powdercoating look similar but that is a wayyyy thicker film build than paint. You wont get that silvery, almost pearled sheen out of Ano. Whenever i used to go to Oakley's factory i could ALWAYS smell a familiar smell of DuPont Chromabase basecoat. Not that it necessarily applies here. I'm just saying i seriously doubt it's ano.
Tim

I wonder if you could look up any of the related patents that Oakley owns on the USPTO website? I know there are a lot of patents on the processes to make the x metal products. Maybe it would include surface treatment.
Tim

Latest Posts

Back