• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

JDD32's crazy (mostly X-Metal) projects

coolio I guess linegear offers r2 rubbers now. that's awesome!!!!!!!

Not for the next 6 months, they have to develop them first (thanks again @Linegear Official for listening to your fans/customers and offering to make these for us!) So I bought a carbon black R2 off the bay recently and was reasonably happy with the bare frame thinking I could just get some polar linegear lenses since it doesn't seem like anybody will cut the polar R2 lenses since they are such a pain and I could scrounge up some rubber for it somewhere. I was SO wrong, haha. I hit up @jdd32 because he is a wizard and I thought that if anybody could help me it would be him. He agreed to experiment a bit and told me about how he could mold OEM Juliet rubber nose pads to fit the R2. He also recommended Juliet ear socks for the stems (as he said, not pretty but functional- and honestly they aren't that bad looking, lol). Problem was the T-shocks. He said he could probably cut some down using existing linegear t-shocks (kinda cool, he made 2 different "sizes" since the R2 shocks are THICK.) Basically you stack 2 custom cut t-shocks together if you need thick shocks or just use the big one if you need a looser fit. Again, as he says, not pretty but very functional and who the hell is going to know what your shocks look like when you are wearing your R2?!? GREAT! I was all set, but wait, @Dyeraudio pointed out that I should check my bare frame for the rubber lens gasket. The what now?!?!? Crap... I had the screws for the lenses (hurray) but no gaskets (boo). @jdd32 to the rescue again. He cut down some rubber to make crude custom lens gaskets as pictured above in this thread. Said he'd let me give 'em a try. Well, the Linegear lenses arrived a week or so ago (please @Linegear Official continue to stock Polar R2 lenses since they are so damn hard to come by and yours are excellent!) Rubber got here today! I assembled everything as it was pictured in this thread on his model R2. The Juliet socks (linegear) worked fine! The custom OEM Juliet nose pads fit a-okay with a little stretching! The T-shocks took a little manipulation. Basically I flipped them over so the part that usually sits at the bottom instead contacts the ear stem when the stem is open. They will need @THE X-MAN to tighten the bridge in the near future but they fit great! Now onto the lenses. The Linegear Polarized lenses looked great and fit perfect. I used @jdd32 's custom cut lens gaskets (took a little manipulation since they are slightly larger than OEM but a mechanical pencil helped make installation a snap). The lens screws went in no problem and I am one happy camper/ satisfied customer!
And here is what they look like this evening! :)

IMG_20151008_203440.jpg
First, those Linegear Polarized Red Lenses, love 'em!
IMG_20151008_203500.jpg
IMG_20151008_203526.jpg
IMG_20151008_203548.jpg
Hopefully you can see in the last photo how I flipped the T-shock for the perfect fit (for me). I'm super excited that I can wear these now! Thank you so much @jdd32 for helping me salvage this pair! I couldn't have fixed this R2 up without you!

Last edited:
Not for the next 6 months, they have to develop them first (thanks again @Linegear Official for listening to your fans/customers and offering to make these for us!) So I bought a carbon black R2 off the bay recently and was reasonably happy with the bare frame thinking I could just get some polar linegear lenses since it doesn't seem like anybody will cut the polar R2 lenses since they are such a pain and I could scrounge up some rubber for it somewhere. I was SO wrong, haha. I hit up @jdd32 because he is a wizard and I thought that if anybody could help me it would be him. He agreed to experiment a bit and told me about how he could mold OEM Juliet rubber nose pads to fit the R2. He also recommended Juliet ear socks for the stems (as he said, not pretty but functional- and honestly they aren't that bad looking, lol). Problem was the T-shocks. He said he could probably cut some down using existing linegear t-shocks (kinda cool, he made 2 different "sizes" since the R2 shocks are THICK.) Basically you stack 2 custom cut t-shocks together if you need thick shocks or just use the big one if you need a looser fit. Again, as he says, not pretty but very functional and who the hell is going to know what your shocks look like when you are wearing your R2?!? GREAT! I was all set, but wait, @Dyeraudio pointed out that I should check my bare frame for the rubber lens gasket. The what now?!?!? Crap... I had the screws for the lenses (hurray) but no gaskets (boo). @jdd32 to the rescue again. He cut down some rubber to make crude custom lens gaskets as pictured above in this thread. Said he'd let me give 'em a try. Well, the Linegear lenses arrived a week or so ago (please @Linegear Official continue to stock Polar R2 lenses since they are so damn hard to come by and yours are excellent!) Rubber got here today! I assembled everything as it was pictured in this thread on his model R2. The Juliet socks (linegear) worked fine! The custom OEM Juliet nose pads fit a-okay with a little stretching! The T-shocks took a little manipulation. Basically I flipped them over so the part that usually sits at the bottom instead contacts the ear stem when the stem is open. They will need @THE X-MAN to tighten the bridge in the near future but they fit great! Now into the lenses. The Linegear Polarized lenses looked great and fit perfect. I used @jdd32 's custom cut lens gaskets (took a little manipulation since they are slightly larger than OEM but a mechanical pencil helped make installation a snap). The lens screws went in no problem and I am one happy camper/ satisfied customer!
And here is what they look like this evening! :)

IMG_20151008_203440.jpg
First, those Linegear Polarized Red Lenses, love 'em!
IMG_20151008_203500.jpg
IMG_20151008_203526.jpg
IMG_20151008_203548.jpg
Hopefully you can see in the last photo how I flipped the T-shock for the perfect fit (for me). I'm super excited that I can wear these now! Thank you so much @jdd32 for helping me salvage this pair! I couldn't have fixed this R2 up without you!

Hooray to another x-metal back in action! Carbon/red combo looks a killer! You should paint the icons red for a true Ferrari/Ducati theme ;)

As for the t-shocks, you can install them like the normal way. The thinner pad goes in first (use your nails/flat head driver to poke it down), then the standard cut t-shock. This design is the most cost effective option without going through molding the darn things for a piece of rubber that can't be seen once installed.

Hooray to another x-metal back in action! Carbon/red combo looks a killer! You should paint the icons red for a true Ferrari/Ducati theme ;)

As for the t-shocks, you can install them like the normal way. The thinner pad goes in first (use your nails/flat head driver to poke it down), then the standard cut t-shock. This design is the most cost effective option without going through molding the darn things for a piece of rubber that can't be seen once installed.
I tried all variations on installing them and they were a HAIR too thick with both sets combined. This way works for now, once I have them tuned up I'll flip them back round the normal way and all will be perfect! Couldn't be happier with these man! :)

You're lucky you didn't get OEM t-shocks then, cus they're equal thickness to my combined shock design :)
Or unlucky because I could have turned around and sold them for like $30, lol. Can't find those OEM shocks, and if you do they are pricy!

@joecool862 : Your Romeo 2 looks great. We are glad you like our lenses. And sure we have plenty of them, see picture. Be noted that we don't put the polarized on sales on eBay, but on our site we sell both non-pola and polarized. http://www.linegear-japan.com/product-list/17

Thank you everyone.

R2-lenses_freshly cut_05 Aug 2015.JPG

Back