• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Job hunting Sucks!

I've been where you are and I feel your pain. Hang in there.

Unfortunately it's rare to get feedback on why an employer chose somebody else over you, it's typically not done. And it's frustrating, but don't let it get you down.

I am not sure how districts staff in PA, but up here in NY, you could take the civil service test for Director of Building and Grounds for a school district and get hired right away if you are in the top three. I am the BOE President for a district here in WNY and it took us forever to find someone. And the district I work for couldn't get anyone that was qualified since they couldn't pass the test. (They ended up poaching the one that worked for the district I am BOE president for...lol). It you are near the PA NY boarder, I would look into that.

Unfortunately I am not near NY and the jobs at schools near me are pretty few and far between unless you are a teacher.

Have a second interview, this time with the owner of the place with the HR person that hadn’t read my resume. He loved it and wanted to bring me in. See where this goes. My oldest daughter works part time for the same company. Lol.

Unfortunately I am not near NY and the jobs at schools near me are pretty few and far between unless you are a teacher.

Have a second interview, this time with the owner of the place with the HR person that hadn’t read my resume. He loved it and wanted to bring me in. See where this goes. My oldest daughter works part time for the same company. Lol.

Good luck! Hope things work out for you in the end.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Karma will haunt your old company. I've heard of many instances where top level people bring in "their people" or a family run company will hire family/friends and these people are grossly under-qualified. It usually doesn't hurt them at first but it eventually bites them in the @r$e.

Unfortunately, it displaces people like you.

I remember getting "let go" back in 2009, I thought it was the end of the world. This was when jobs were very scarce. It took over a year but I found a good solid company and I've been with them ever since. I remember going on interviews and like yourself, finding it very frustrating.

Hang in there and keep positive. You'll find the right place for you, it just may take some time.

Best of luck

While I hate to say it, it’s good to see others have dealt with this also. I was beginning to feel like it was me. I have an interview tomorrow and Friday so we shall see what happens with those.

Need to vent.

I was working as a safety coordinator. Guys in the plant told me they had seen me more in the first 2 months of working than what they had seen my predessor in the years that they worked there. Long story short we get a new plant director who brought in a safety person he was in charge of at another plant for the same company. I knew this person and they had NO CLUE what they were doing. All of a sudden they are my supervisor. So, after a couple wrong calls made by this person and me bringing up the issues, I was let go. I was told that I wasn't what they were looking for for the team they were trying to build. I don't keep my mouth shut when I see someone doing something wrong and I guess you can't have your subordinate know more than you, especially when you get the job with absolutely no knowledge. I guess it also helps when you call your boss "Daddy".

Now, I have been to loads of interviews. I often hear nothing back at all (probably 80%). Had one place, that I was sure I was getting the job, say that corp office removed the position after 3 interviews, which included meeting the President of the company. Had about a month between the first interview and them saying no.

Yesterdays interview the HR person told me she hadn't even read my resume and didn't have it. I emailed it to the HR director who then sent it out to multiple managers that said I should be interviewed as soon as possible. Kicker is, during the interview there was no position talked about! HR recuiter told me that she was unsure where they wanted to put me and was just told to get me in because of how "impressive" as she said, my resume was. Seriously, you bring me in for an interview without having a single clue of what positions you have open? When I sent the HR director my resume I said, let me know what you may think I am a fit for, I am interested in a safety or supervisor position. I know that is a little vague, especially for a cold email being sent, but to me its pretty easy. Is there a supervisor position open? Yes, ok it in such and such department(s). Tell him we have these positions open, see if he would be interested in or would fit in those roles. We don't have any positions open or only very entry level positions? Ok, tell him thanks but we only have positions that he is way overqualified for. Not come to an interview with no clue what positions are open but aren't posted online.

I have been through 4 interviews with another company. Last one I met one of the hiring managers that loved me and told me he was going to be sending me an offer after I spoke with the Plant manager. Plant manager then proceeds to tell me that since I had leadership experience, but not experience in a warehouse that he didn't think I would be a good fit and could only offer me a position as an entry level worker at like $10 an hour to pick orders. This is WAY under what the previous manager said he was going to offer me.

It really can't be that hard to not jerk people around, send some kind of followup after an interview saying thanks but here is what you were missing or even thanks but no, or to have some kind of clue what you are actually going to offer.

I so wish I could go back in the Navy. Unfortunately, once you get out and are disabled like I am, there's no going back.

Ok, rant over. Thanks for reading. Sorry it was long, had to blow off some steam.

safety coordinator at a plant..... all i could think of:

the-simpsons.jpg

Latest Posts

Back