• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Jordan Romeo 1 Questions: How Many Produced? And Current Market Value?

702baby

Under The Electric Sky
Vegas Baby, Vegas!!!
Ok it's understood that the 4 digit serial Romeo 1 X Metal are the Jordan Romeos. My question is do all Jordan Romeos only have 4 digit serial numbers, meaning no more than 9999 were made? Or does the serial go higher than 4 digits? While we're at it, what's a good estimate for the current market value of a Jordan R1? Lets say condition wise the frame is "excellent", lenses have typical scratches and spider cracks, rubbers have wear, no box but with coin and X Metal vault, thanks in advance.

I'd say that the $580-600 price point is fair, considering what was included...coin, metal vault and Jordan R1. I don't recall the seller stating anything about the rubbers being correct to the Jordan's, or if they even knew...but new ones could be bought anyway, so can new lenses. I wouldn't expect to recoup the added cost of buying those new items though...which could push you into spending just under $1K. I'd personally have to really think hard if I'd be willing to spend a G, even on a BNIB, perfect, full set Jordan R1.

I'd like to think that the Jordan R1 would go higher than the others (because its a Jordan), but its really all about timing and the market demand. I can factually say one thing...that other person trying to sell theirs for $2K will be sitting on them for a long time.

Here's something funny...I once asked a long time rep of Oakley about the Jordan Romeo and its history....he said, "the only Jordan Romeo I'm aware of is the one that Jordan owns."

Hmm very good points, so just curious were the Jordan R1 really marketed as such?

I don't know much beyond the 4 digit serials and that supposedly the "true" Jordan Romeo was only the first 5000 produced and distributed, and any other 4 digit serial after was not considered a true Jordan R1. There's a few discussions about this on the boards, you can prolly dig them up with some searching. There are divided opinions on this subject and it doesn't seem like there will ever be a solid resolution. I'm prolly opening a can of worms again as I write this...LOL!

As far as marketing, I'm not positive, but I believe the initial release may have had slightly different packaging. I'm sure someone like RVF or BriP or Xmetalmaniac will chime in to confirm and answer in more detail...

$600?! Damn!

I should sell mine and make a $500+ profit! LOL

But I probably never will. $100 for mine that has only a few very miniscule blemishes? I think I used up all my luck finding that pair. LOL

the term "jordan" romeo was coined later on. as far as im aware, the inital run of 4 digit serial romeos came with red earsocks etc and the tie was made to MJ's pair since he possessed the 0023 serial with red rubbers too.

in todays terms, a true "jordan" romeo (if theres such a thing" is one with 4 digit serial and red rubbers. since red rubbers can be swapped the serial is a better proxy.

Pretty sure the 4-digit serials DIDNT last to 9999... i think the 5000ish figure is based on what serials we have seen, but i believe once they realised the popularity and higher than expected sales, the extra digits were added (so 2 extra zeros at the start) to allow for a much greater production figure. the interesting thing is to know if they restarted the serials when they swithed to 6-digit- so will there be a rather desireable "000023" out there? or was it 5000, then 005001 (if the 4-digit initial run ended exactly at 5000)

so question answered- any 4 digit serial is an initial run romeo, and as such you can claim it to be "Jordan" since no record was kept as to how long the red rubbers lasted (some later 4 digits came with black rubbers)

This thread just cleared up SOOO many questions I have been pondering regarding this specific release. I didn't think there was an actual "Jordan Romeo" by Oakley's definition, like a Shawn White endorsed product or what have you. However I knew there were some sort of indicators to suggest that certain Romeo frames were more or less associated with MJ. Thanks for chiming in Mr. BriP!

I will throw out there that while recently re-watching my Chicago Bulls Dynasty DVD's that I noticed MJ wearing Romeo's, Juliet' s as well as some "Leather Mars" during various press events and public appearances. Relevance? I know he was on some posters wearing all of those at some point. Just an x metal endorsement deal? No specific pairs of the others considered "Jordans"?

I also noticed Scottie Pippen wearing some, what appeared to be Carbon Juliets. Does that make the gen 1 carbon Juliet's "Pippen's" lol...

Ahhh, so fun reminiscing on (imho) the golden era of both NBA and Oakley. Now if Oakley signs LeBron to an eyewear exclusive deal to reintroduce the x metal line next year, my friends and fellow fanatics, well then, wouldn't that be interesting?

Latest Posts

Back