• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet 24K With Corrosion/oxidation/burnt?

MJLSr

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
I have a friend trying to score one and he sent me this:

IMG951575.jpg

Now, my J24K and 24KX2 show no discoloration such as this. My friend says the frame is clean otherwise. The # is in the 200's. my friend called Oakley and they said they may have not passed QC, been 'burnt', or just not painted all the way - yes, painted - not plated.

My 24K's are a little duller on the inside of the intakes but they are still 'golden', just not as shinny, which in my experience is common. I have never seen any discoloration to this extent on a pair [of 24K's]

Has anyone seen this? If so did you find a root cause? Was it resolved?

I am going to see him tomorrow and compare mine with his, take some hi-res pics. More to come...

Thanks 'X... I don't see this in either of my (J or X2), Oakley said they have heard of it a few times, like a pair that did not pass QC checks and found its way out the door. Every other I've seen have always been 'dull gold' - not shinny/polished, but not burnt either.

I guess the follow on ?'s are:

- How common is this (Oakley says not vary but if X-Man see this every day...?

- How much does it decrease the value of the item if the rest is mint

- Is this a sign of a greater problem with the plating/painting/finish of the pair?

Also note the person at Oakley (a woman my friend spoke to) made it a point to say Oakley has never plated anything. She called these 'painted' and referred to the issue as some sort of manufacturers defect in 'painting' (how they were heated/treated during painting or perhaps exposed to some chemical, maybe the 'plating/painting did not stick well.

I'm not going to give out the # (#/750) in case it is someone we know, but Oakley has no record of ever servicing this particular Juliet so either the individual who got it did not know, did not care, or perhaps didn't think it a big deal at the time... add a scratch on one of the lenses and the item is significantly worth less than the BNIB/LNIB asking price for the person trying to sell it, which is north of $1000.00.

Update...

I am not trying to get y'all to run out and check your gold plating on your [J | X2] 24K's, but...

I compared these side by side with mine today - the discoloration is worse than first shown and apparent on both arms and around the hinges too. To make matters worse the finish on this pair as a whole is generally 'not as good' as mine, they do not shine the same in addition to both arms are noticeably duller all around. The seller swears they are BNIB and minimally worn and by the look of the box, the tightness of the frame, and overall condition I would tend to believe them. There is of course a small scratch on the etched lens in the right light, but still... There is no way this is an area of the frame one would 'wear out from use'. As X-Man replied, he sees this all the time and apparently Oakley has too, but only those who noticed it within the warranty period had/have any recourse, otherwise its TSOL.

The orbitals and nose are a closer match on both pair, but mine still beats the toasted|burnt one by a mile. The sad ending to the story is three-fold as the original owner bought them and may not have seen this, AND they made it past Oakley QC somehow, AND there is nothing Oakley can or will do to fix. The best they are offering is if they are sent in and validated in person at HQ they may offer a discount on a new pair.

I'm glad these are not mine!

FWIW I also checked my X Squared 24K's and they are also 'golden', literally. No green, no burn, no sign of anything less than what you would expect when you closely examine a piece like this - gold everywhere, just not as shinny on the back of the intakes and inside the hinges.

Here are some pics (the good, the bad, and the ugly). I'm sure you can figure out which is which. (Hint, they are kind of in that order)

J24K-7.jpg
J24K-6.jpg
J24K-5.jpg
J24K-4.jpg
J24K-3.jpg
J24K-2.jpg
J24K-1.jpg

One more quick note: I know what # these are, but will not disclose that - I am not involved in the transaction, but I have a friend who is and do not want to disrupt his refund/return arrangement - for all I know the Seller is an active member of this forum. I will say they are/will/may_soon_be_again on eBay - Buyer beware!

As long as everything checked out just fine with authenticity and all the serial numbers were in the right place, I'd still pay close to the same as I would one that was at least like new. It would be any scratches that would get me. And of course, box, etc... The discoloration, eh, to me it's character if it's not something that completely ruins the frame like rust or brittle areas.

If you saw these in person you might not feel the same... they were 'not good'

That's all I can say about that.

Consider this a Public/Forum Service Announcement ;)

I had been thinking about that, you seem pretty adamant about this. Would you mind hooking up a link or the seller name/any info if they go back on ebay after your buddy has gotten a refund if they do so that we know? We all know how bad Ebay pictures can be.

Back