• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet 24K With Corrosion/oxidation/burnt?

Sure, I can send more info after my friend is clear. Give it a few days...

Keep in mind those pictures I posted were taken by me today, along side my personal J24K, with a decent camera and various lighting angles. They may not be the best, but are better than your average camera phone.

Also consider that part of Oakley's feedback is that if these are not plated/painted properly that can lead to premature wear. I interpret that as if you are going to wear them, you will wear them out sooner than later. Just saying... I think if you pay $1000+ for something it should be right, and even Oakley is saying it is not. From a collector's perspective most would probably devalue these significantly. Good luck if you ever had to resell them...

Oh yeah, your pictures are very good. It's the ebay pictures that I worry about. From a seller who obviously wasn't completely honest about the condition in the original ebay auction. So a good warning would be awesome.

...a few other details I can share. The seller in this case was not accepting returns, but did after my friend talked to Oakley and provided pics. My friend made a more reasonable offer and was rejected. The seller is confident they can get FMV for these, and I totally disagree having seen them with my own eyes, having them in my hands, taking my own pics. It all depends on your 'appetite for quality' ;)

They are either right, or they are not you know?

Come to think of it, I think I totally understand. I've gotten "Frame tight" X-Metals on ebay and even on the forums here, and when I receive the "Frame tight" X-Metals, they're loose. It really irks me considering that's another 50 bucks I'd have to tack onto the final cost. Or... "light scratching" on the lens looks like some kind of high school science mockup of a sperm sample.

I wanna give a free shout out though to @Big Hank. He felt the XX's he was sending me were too loose, got with X-Man, and got them tightened at no cost to me before sending them my way. Great guy!

+1 on @Big Hank - a solid guy I have done a few deals with, all positive, heck of a nice guy. We've spoken on the phone for hours.... :)

I'm just lookin out for y'all

Haha, don't know if my breakthrough of understanding came out like a ramble or anything, so to clarify, I think I completely understand where you and your friend are coming from. You expect perfection if you're paying for something that is the same price as something perfect. If two items cost the same amount of money, you should expect the same perfection in both of them. I get it. You have expectations, and rightfully so, and if they're not met, then yes, you should expect a discount, or a refund.

Hey Guys! I appreciate the shout out. The price some of these glasses are worth... The ten minutes extra to get great pictures means a ton. And let me clarify "great picture." It means finding the perfect angle to show a flaw as best you can. I've found that I can take a macro picture of anything Oakley and make it look showroom new if I'm not careful, even with a cell phone camera.

Sorry for the short hijack!

The girl at oakley is high.........
there is no paint on this planet that will shine like 24 k.......im sure chop is pickin up what im layin down

The girl at oakley is high.........
+1

That said, I'd rather deal with someone who is 'high' then drunk, or uncooperative. From what my friend said she is a VERY nice lady he communicated with multiple times and he was connected to a higher-up who said Oakley would NEVER allow ANY of those 750 pairs to go out the door like that. They were adamant that these were double, triple, quadruple QC'd and none like this would ever get out of the door. This makes the lady's 'buzz factor' more likely, but again, +1 for Oakley standing by their product! :) He said the same thing I initially did to my friend - the green looked like corrosion, probably exposed to excess salt water or some other chemical then stored for years without being cleaned properly.

Even better, there is a happy ending here. We went through and polished them up good prior to returning them and they shined up a bit (another hint they were tarnished/corroding). The damage seemed limited to that area. My friend made a last minute request/offer and the Seller let my buddy have the pair for what I told him they were worth - $600.00. I know the box, coin, bag, and lenses (1 small scratch not visible when wearing) are worth most of that. Then the underlying frames. My friend is happy, the Seller is happy, Oakley is happy, and that is one pair of 24K Juliet's we do not have to watch out for on eBay and/or the forum as they are in the hands of someone who can appreciate them and got a fair deal, imperfect or otherwise.

Back