• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet Arms Stripped?

be careful once you bust that stud and there's nothing to grab those frames are garbage

needle nose vice grips with a mild bite should spin it too. more concerning though, is the white goo buildup at the base of the screw. Is that a lubricant you tried to apply? If not, you might want to heat that area up in case someone before you used some sort of threadlock or something
The white stuff are bluetags I put on trying to get some extra friction, will try to heat it up either way just in case there are any threadlock just like you said.

be careful once you bust that stud and there's nothing to grab those frames are garbage

I am thinking if soldering some extra bit of metal at the end of the stud will give more surface to work with and get extra torque delivered. I saw clips online with people removing laptop screws with solder a resistor at the stripped screw and work with that.

Take it from the dude thats done a ****load of these repairs.with a pair of sidecutters or "wirecutters" you will actually bite into that stud without cutting it.hold the screw and rotate the frame to facilitate the loosining process.remember hold the screw.......rotate the orbital.

needle nose vice grips with a mild bite should spin it too. more concerning though, is the white goo buildup at the base of the screw. Is that a lubricant you tried to apply? If not, you might want to heat that area up in case someone before you used some sort of threadlock or something
That has just highlighted to me why you should not use threadlock on these sunglasses. Another lesson courtesy of @dr.chop and Oakley Forum.

it may well work, and I know I could do it easily that way as well, however, for many who have no background with these crappy soft screws, they could easily cut it off, and as you say, would be done. However, it wouldn't be all lost. If cut off, you can drill it with a very small bit and a slow speed. I've done that too in the past. then most of the remnants can be picked out, if it's not threadlocked in. But that is a real pain, no doubt, one slip and you could eat the threads off if it's the right bit.

My mistake.......
I thought he was talking about the Threads in the orbitals.on the arms you could drill out from the screw from the back side and rethread with a 2-56 tap

Back