• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet OEM replacement lens fitment issues....anyone else??

CrazyALee

I should Work at Oakley
CA, USA
I have 2 different generation of juliets. One first generation x-metal (with serial number J0#####) = x metal/black iridium original colorway, and a newer generic SKU "24-125" = x metal/ruby iridium colorway.

I've recently purchased several set of ruby iridium replacement lenses from various sellers. I can tell if the lenses are fakes, and all check out. However each cut is a bit off. But from all the sets I've had (2008 and 2013/2014 batches according to box), I find that all the "left" (if looking AT the glasses, NOT wearing them) lenses - the fit is a bit LOOSE...it rattles a bit. This goes for both my frames, I tried fitment test in both.

And the RIGHT side (again, lookin at glasses, NOT wearing them), the fitment is a bit tight....
When looking through a pair of polarized oakley lens, and then looking at the juliet lenses, you can obviously see some stress points on the "right" lens....being that it fits really tight, its squeezing/warping the lens a bit..

Anyone else have this issue in their juliets?

11100804_10100858291663572_1376130893_n.jpg

11130702_10100858291893112_179133437_n.jpg

11134234_10100858296129622_565808326_n.jpg

Last edited:
It's a known, common issue. The problem isn't the lenses but the frames. Due to the casting methods used, there are minor variations from batch to batch. They are within a certain tolerance, but they're not all 100% the same. One could say it adds to each pieces uniqueness...

Anyway a tight or loose fit is pretty common, loose more so. The solution is to either ignore it or shim them. You may notice that the last model, XS, came with them factory shimmed...

Some custom cutters, such as XMM, prefer if you send the frames with your donor pair so they can ensure an exact fit.

I picked up a brand new set of Ruby Juliet lenses at the O Store somewhat recently. It was the last one instock, their reasoning said to be that Right lens (when looking out), was too large and wouldn't let the orbital close on any Juliet. Installed, there was a slight gap still on my Finito frame, he discounted the lenses down and I bought them. I sent the frame in for a needed service and to get a tuneup and fresh rubbers and included the receipt with a note of the issue with the lenses. It took nearly 60 days for the frames to return, but once stock was available they installed a fresh pair and sent the frames back. The *bonus* is, while they were in service I picked up a gen 1 x metal frame and the imperfect lenses fit just just fine w/o any issue. My point is, frames are more likely and commonly so have variations in the earlier years. Lenses by my observation typically stay consistent, but can still have an imperfection.

I had a pair of OEM ruby direct from Oakley last year where the right lens was also large. They finally fit in the 7th frame I tried them in!

my 3rd gen carbon ducati juliet has the same issue with the left orbital..it's not my everyday pair so i guess it's alright..

Just did a pair of custom cut lenses for a member. The frame was a OEM X Metal finished Juliet. The right lens went in no issue. But the left lens (right eye) was no where close to correct. Pics to follow. I looked at the frame today and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary. Now we all know that from style to style there are differences in the orbital ID up to .5mm or so. This was out at least 1.5mm. I mean really huge. I couldn't believe it. Made me think where was something bent in the past or twisted. But it appeared very nice condition. Anyway yes there are differences, number one reason why Oakley didnt make OEM replacement Romeo 1 lenses. Plus they always made you send your frame in. That was due to them making sure the lenses fit correctly. Also gaps are or were normal with R1 frames on the factory lenses. Funny cause it was ok for them, but heaven forbid a custom cut lens to have a sliver of a gap somewhere due to inconsistencies in a frame. LOL The pics below are from my test frame first (also tried the lens in 4 other frames) and then the customers frame second. You can see how far apart the screw part is on the customers.

IMG_2708.jpeg
IMG_4796.jpeg

wow lol. thats quite a difference. thanks for sharing infinitehero!

I tried a pair of OEM replacement lenses for juliet and both lenses were too big to fit in one of my juliet frames. The orbital gap was similar to that of your customers, where I just couldnt fit the screw to catch thread

wow lol. thats quite a difference. thanks for sharing infinitehero!

I tried a pair of OEM replacement lenses for juliet and both lenses were too big to fit in one of my juliet frames. The orbital gap was similar to that of your customers, where I just couldnt fit the screw to catch thread
Don't try make it fit you will warp the lense

Back