• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet Serial Number Inquiry

False is a bit of a harsh way of putting it! I was just replying to Oakle y's comment that it was an earlier frame to say I still thought it was 4th gen. The sticker on the box is another clue that it's not as old as first gen at least. As for the "split" boxes, I have a no-SKU Ducati that came in one so it seems there are some exceptions to that rule of thumb too.

False is a bit of a harsh way of putting it! I was just replying to Oakle y's comment that it was an earlier frame to say I still thought it was 4th gen. The sticker on the box is another clue that it's not as old as first gen at least. As for the "split" boxes, I have a no-SKU Ducati that came in one so it seems there are some exceptions to that rule of thumb too.
hey no offense meant, sorry if it came across abrasive in any way to you.

and yes youre right about no SKU/ new split boxes, they were introduced towards the later end of that period.

No problem BriP :) I tend to think of the generations of Juliet as a bit fluid - rather than having a hard cut-off, after which there is a discrete variant, they more sort of blend across the generations. The split boxes at the tail end of the 4th gen is a prime example - you want to introduce a new box and a new, SKU-stamped, frame but you have "sterile" (a term we use in watch collecting for dials, means no markings) frames left over with no old-style boxes to put them in. Do you junk the frames or put them in the new style boxes? I know Oakley occasionally likes to take the path less trodden but that one seems a straightforward business decision for most companies.

It's even worse in watch collecting - I collect Heuers from their "golden period" in the 60s and 70s and they would make subtle changes to dials and handsets pretty frequently, with the intention that the two go together - wider hands to match the wider hour markers, for example. But they were also parsimonious and would use up existing stock. So if one watchmaker at one workbench used up his or her stock of dials before the hands, they would use a new dial with the old hands. Meanwhile, two benches away, someone was running out of old-style hands so paired the new hands with the old dial. The MPHs of the watch world, if you will. It doesn't happen now when every piece is on brand and just so, but Swiss watchmaking was a different world 50 years ago.

And I kind of feel that a pre-Lux Oakley was more like those Swiss watchmaking years before the Quartz crisis, while nowadays it's more efficient but has perhaps lost a little of the charm along the way. Not wishing to Lux-bash though, I have a bunch of Holbrooks alongside the Juliets and "New" Frogs!

No problem BriP :) I tend to think of the generations of Juliet as a bit fluid - rather than having a hard cut-off, after which there is a discrete variant, they more sort of blend across the generations. The split boxes at the tail end of the 4th gen is a prime example - you want to introduce a new box and a new, SKU-stamped, frame but you have "sterile" (a term we use in watch collecting for dials, means no markings) frames left over with no old-style boxes to put them in. Do you junk the frames or put them in the new style boxes? I know Oakley occasionally likes to take the path less trodden but that one seems a straightforward business decision for most companies.

It's even worse in watch collecting - I collect Heuers from their "golden period" in the 60s and 70s and they would make subtle changes to dials and handsets pretty frequently, with the intention that the two go together - wider hands to match the wider hour markers, for example. But they were also parsimonious and would use up existing stock. So if one watchmaker at one workbench used up his or her stock of dials before the hands, they would use a new dial with the old hands. Meanwhile, two benches away, someone was running out of old-style hands so paired the new hands with the old dial. The MPHs of the watch world, if you will. It doesn't happen now when every piece is on brand and just so, but Swiss watchmaking was a different world 50 years ago.

And I kind of feel that a pre-Lux Oakley was more like those Swiss watchmaking years before the Quartz crisis, while nowadays it's more efficient but has perhaps lost a little of the charm along the way. Not wishing to Lux-bash though, I have a bunch of Holbrooks alongside the Juliets and "New" Frogs!

Hey man don't sweat it - BriP (aka Brian) is a great authority on x-metals/lenses/Oaks and has been on this forum way longer than you and I put together. He's very direct and frank in his comments but it's all about the facts, nothing personal; he's a great guy who will bend over backwards to help you figure out the truth to things... it's all good...:dance2:

:focus:

Hey man don't sweat it - BriP (aka Brian) is a great authority on x-metals/lenses/Oaks and has been on this forum way longer than you and I put together. He's very direct and frank in his comments but it's all about the facts, nothing personal; he's a great guy who will bend over backwards to help you figure out the truth to things... it's all good...:dance2:

:focus:

thx for clarifying

thing is im usually replying on the go via mobile ;) so short works

Thanks for the input guys.. sorry took me some time for an update, was quite busy with work.. I received the Juliet a few days ago and they'e neat, just a little loose on the nosebridge, will be posting pictures as soon as I get it tuned up. Got them for $200, I guess it was a fair price. :)

Last edited:
how about this one guys..it was advertised as juliet xx metal and I asked the serial but only gave me 06-114P..I think he gave me the SKU# but don't think it is from a juliet or a XX..
Oakley+juliet+xx+metal+plasma+ice-4577392308.jpg

how about this one guys..it was advertised as juliet xx metal and I asked the serial but only gave me 06-114P..I think he gave me the SKU# but don't think it is from a juliet or a XX..
Oakley+juliet+xx+metal+plasma+ice-4577392308.jpg

Correct, that's no x-metal SKU. Need more pics from different angles to tell if real or fake, but the inside of the jet intakes on the earstems looks a little strange, and the lens tint doesn't look quite right. Looks like the orbital breaks might be fake, too.

Again, need more pics but it doesn't look good so far...

yep..just found out it was fake they are selling..he also posted the same ad in another site and saw he was also selling other fake products..

All juliet ice polarized latest models have sku etched 04-153 or some models come with no sku printed at all and no serial number as well?

Back