• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet X Metal Finish: Generational Color Differences?

ucdavis4PT0gpa

I should Work at Oakley
Oceanside, Oregon
We all are aware of the evolution of certain frames and their color (notably Plasma but also Titanium)-are there color variations over the life of the X Metal finish?

The reason I ask is because I have just acquired a serialed pair of X Metal frames...probably early 2000's by the serial number...and they look darker to me than the current frames I'm seeing. Its hard to compare without them side by side, but the frames I have look considerably darker and somewhat rougher (and not due to wear, just in how the metal was run off) than what I'm seeing in new frames.

Is this true from anyone else's experience or am I just seeing things? This is important to me because I bought these online along with an X Metal case for $170. The seller represented them as in better condition than they are and has agreed to refund me $70 to cover the cost of sending to Oakley for a tune up. I'm selling the case for probably $20 net and have lenses for the frame already so that's $170-$70-$20 + $75 (tune up and shipping) = $155 total cost if I keep them....or I could take the $70 and sell the frames and case as is and recoup my cost, turn around and just hunt down a new X Metal frame (which I could do for roughly $215 if patient and flip the ruby lenses for $45 net = $170).

Question is....are these darker in color (I prefer that) and is it worth it to keep them and have them tuned given this (and/or the fact they are serialed) and the cost breakdown as it exists?

IMAG0507.jpg

IMAG0508.jpg

IMAG0509.jpg

IMAG0510.jpg

IMAG0511.jpg

IMAG0512.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0507.jpg
    IMAG0507.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 947
  • IMAG0508.jpg
    IMAG0508.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 600
  • IMAG0509.jpg
    IMAG0509.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 715
  • IMAG0510.jpg
    IMAG0510.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 621
  • IMAG0511.jpg
    IMAG0511.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 725
  • IMAG0512.jpg
    IMAG0512.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 573
  • IMAG0507.jpg
    IMAG0507.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 408
  • IMAG0508.jpg
    IMAG0508.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 439
  • IMAG0509.jpg
    IMAG0509.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 408
  • IMAG0510.jpg
    IMAG0510.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 440
  • IMAG0511.jpg
    IMAG0511.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 465
  • IMAG0512.jpg
    IMAG0512.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 467
Serialized frames tend to fetch a few more dollars. I wonder if the color difference is more due to the metal oxidizing over time rather than something to do with materials and manufacturing?

Sorry for not being more helpful. I only own one pair of X Metal colored frames and i just bought that one a few weeks ago BNIB direct from Oakley.

I have had a few xmetal colour frames go through my hands hands they are different shades (as are Carbon, plasma and titanium). Not sure if this is due to age or different batches.

the serialized x metals usually has a rougher texture compared to the current releases. the darker shade of the x metal frame is, i think, due to the metal oxidizing (basing from a mint mars and a go-to pair mars) giving it a more dark gray color nonetheless, still a great colorway for x metal line.

Yes, there is a difference in the finish - original series as seen on the romeo and Mars are more 'Raw', and looks uneven. New Gen ones are more consistent in the finish, and although Matte, are very even.

Shade differences are usually because of oxidising and the discoloration from sweat, dirt etc. My daily Juliets are darker by a tiny shade compared to my Unused Mars and HalfX. But when unused, new and old generations are identical in coloration. Washing also sometimes helps clean the frames up to a lighter tone after heavy use (as oils 'fill in' the gaps in the matte finish, it appears darker overall..). Again, the X-metal finish is highly sensitive to lighting conditions, and can appear 10 different shades in 10 different photos.

they look to be in good nick, the tuneup will do wonders. if its a serial frame i'd keep them

That's before cleaning. I totally broke down the frame tonight and cleaned everything-tossed the screws, rubber and washers as all were toast. Looks really nice now; already set up to send them in and the rep told me no problem they'll replace all the screws, washers rubber and include a full 15/25 t shock set and large/small nosepiece set. Think they'll look awesome with my Emerald lenses.

And you know what...that's what I love about this line...what other glasses can you find an old pair that had been lying in someones closet after been beaten to death and pull everything apart and refurb to this condition? Just great. And just why they now charge $75 for tune ups now....can't make profit off people if you're only charging $20 or $40 and people are not buying new pairs from you.

That's before cleaning. I totally broke down the frame tonight and cleaned everything-tossed the screws, rubber and washers as all were toast. Looks really nice now; already set up to send them in and the rep told me no problem they'll replace all the screws, washers rubber and include a full 15/25 t shock set and large/small nosepiece set. Think they'll look awesome with my Emerald lenses.

And you know what...that's what I love about this line...what other glasses can you find an old pair that had been lying in someones closet after been beaten to death and pull everything apart and refurb to this condition? Just great. And just why they now charge $75 for tune ups now....can't make profit off people if you're only charging $20 or $40 and people are not buying new pairs from you.

i suspect they charged extra for replacing screws and additional rubber - usually they only do the flex coupler and change rubbers ON the glasses, no extras. also they dont touch the hinge screws, just swap washers in.

tuneups are $55 in australia

I don't understand why people would take a pair of $300+ glasses and beat them to death. It puzzles me to no end. LOL

Back