• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet X-Metal - Need Assistance for First Pair

Hang Loose

Oakley Beginner
Just joined Oakley Forum. I'm looking to pickup my first X-Metals and need some assistance from the Oakley experts here. I'll be looking for a used pair of Juliets in good condition with Oakley lenses. I'm not looking to collect, but rather for wear in rotation with my other glasses.

What should I look for in a nice used pair?
  1. Is earlier generation vs later generation a concern on a used pair? IE. Should I be more concerned with a pair from 1999 vs 2009? Or does it really matter, as long as they are in good overall condition?
  2. Any significant differences in frame and/or lens materials between first generation and later generation Juliet models?
  3. What to look for in the nose bridge, frame, etc?
  4. While I have not tried a Juliet on in person, I'm focusing on that sunglass in the x-metal line because I tend to lean towards the smaller sportier frames. Any others I should look at instead?
  5. Are lenses on later models better? I believe later generations added a hydrophobic coating?
  6. Price point? I'd like to stay under $300, perhaps closer to $250 if possible. Is that realistic?
Thanks in advance for the input! Learning along the way.

All answers I'll be giving are IMO based on my experience.
1. NO
2. NO
3. Big flex = bad!
4. Try 'em before you buy 'em ... It all depends on your noggin'
5. Not necessarily ...
6. It'll be a challenge ... Depending on what you like ... But @Dyeraudio has a respectable pair under 300$ I believe!

Thanks! Is that pair in the x-metal exchange forum? If so, can you point me to that pair? I cannot see names yet as I'm not a premiere member yet.

Great questions @Hang Loose! I was in the same boat you are not too long ago and learned here from the forum, and was not steered wrong. I wanted a pair of Juliets so bad I wouldn't have cared if they didn't fit!! They DID, and now I have 7 pair. Love and wear every one. Branched into the XX and am now saving for a Romeo and then a Mars.

Regarding your #5 question....don't be afraid of any lenses in Juliets (or any XMetal pair for that matter). We have talented forum members here who can custom cut you a pair in almost every tint and iridium available OEM from Oakley with donors. The hydrophobic coating, if you really need it, is available from Oakley as a self-applied kit with a cloth and bottle. Don't sweat it!

GO Get 'em!

What they said.

To add, since it's difficult to try x-metals before buying them these days, you're making the right choice starting with Juliet. Affordable and very popular. If they just don't suit you, you can always move them to someone else. And then you will know which direction to go from there, based on the experience.

Just be careful not to land a pair of fakes; there's plenty out there. The forum exchange is fake-free, though - too many people here watch like hawks for that sort of thing...

Juliet is great starting point. If you pick them up at fair market value you should have no issues trading for another X-Metal model.

It's a good idea to wait for access to the exchange section as you can more often then not receive an accurate description as condition is everything.

Nosebridge tightness is an important factor, be sure to account for a tune up if it is loose. See thexmancustoms.com

Good luck on your hunt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

You're definitely in the right place to learn everything Oakley! Lots of great folks here that will help in a second. :welcome:

You're doing right by starting with a Juliet and $275-$325 is most certainly achievable. If you purchase to wear and not necessarily collect...boxes, coins, matching serials etc. not mattering equals lower price. You'll defintely land a great pair in your price range. I'm up to 5 juliets now and 1 penny in just a couple of months, all acquired from the forum exchange. Members here do pretty good about describing and rating what they're selling.

As far as lenses go, you can always go custom cut oakley lenses or aftermarket. Just depends on how much you wanna spend. Oem is definitely better option but pricier. There are a lot of aftermarket options and also a lot of info on the forum regarding aftermarket lenses....the search bar is your friend!

Anyway, just wanted to add my $.02....

Good luck with your juliet hunt!

1. Is earlier generation vs later generation a concern on a used pair? IE. Should I be more concerned with a pair from 1999 vs 2009? Or does it really matter, as long as they are in good overall condition?
Answer: Depends on the finish. Finishes like plasma in early generations can tend to be problematic with discolorations. The frames themselves, as long as they are in good overall condition, then you're good. They can be refinished and lenses can be custom cut and replaced.
  1. Any significant differences in frame and/or lens materials between first generation and later generation Juliet models?
Answer: Depends what you mean by materials. All the frames are X-Metal (a Ti blend). Finish materials I discussed above.
  1. What to look for in the nose bridge, frame, etc?
Answer: Make sure nose bridge is tight. The flex coupler wears out over time. This can also be repaired by theXman for a small fee, and it will be fixed better than factory new.
  1. While I have not tried a Juliet on in person, I'm focusing on that sunglass in the x-metal line because I tend to lean towards the smaller sportier frames. Any others I should look at instead?
Answer: Juliet is a great starting point. I wouldn't really worry too much about it. If you don't over pay, you can always sell here once you meet exchange requirements. XMXX is slightly larger than the Juliet by a few mm and Penny is a bit smaller than the Juliet.
  1. Are lenses on later models better? I believe later generations added a hydrophobic coating?
Answer: Again, I believe this might be personal opinion, but lenses are really kind of a moot point since we have talented cutters on the forum. You can get many of the modern day lenses custom cut to fit your Juliet.
  1. Price point? I'd like to stay under $300, perhaps closer to $250 if possible. Is that realistic?
Answer: Very realistic especially if purchased on the forum. Once you meet the exchange requirements be patient and just keep watching for the perfect pair. They show up in that price range very often.

Last edited:
Answer: Depends on the finish. Finishes like plasma in early generations can tend to be problematic with discolorations. The frames themselves, as long as they are in good overall condition, then you're good. They can be refinished and lenses can be custom cut and replaced.
  1. Any significant differences in frame and/or lens materials between first generation and later generation Juliet models?
Depends what you mean by materials. All the frames are X-Metal (a Ti blend). Finish materials I discussed above.
  1. What to look for in the nose bridge, frame, etc?
Make sure nose bridge is tight. The flex coupler wears out over time. This can also be repaired by theXman for a small fee, and it will be fixed better than factory new.
  1. While I have not tried a Juliet on in person, I'm focusing on that sunglass in the x-metal line because I tend to lean towards the smaller sportier frames. Any others I should look at instead?
Juliet is a great starting point. I wouldn't really worry too much about it. If you don't over pay, you can always sell here once you meet exchange requirements. XMXX is slightly larger than the Juliet by a few mm and Penny is a bit smaller than the Juliet.
  1. Are lenses on later models better? I believe later generations added a hydrophobic coating?
Again, I believe this might be personal opinion, but lenses are really kind of a moot point since we have talented cutters on the forum. You can get many of the modern day lenses custom cut to fit your Juliet.
  1. Price point? I'd like to stay under $300, perhaps closer to $250 if possible. Is that realistic?
Very realistic especially if purchased on the forum. Once you meet the exchange requirements be patient and just keep watching for the perfect pair. They show up in that price range very often.
What an excellently crafted response! Couldn't agree more! Well said!

Back