• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet's and A-wire questions

bernardfonseca said:
I once combined a 24k XX with a juliet bc i wanted a 24K juliet. And ill tell you that it is very hard to get those metal rivets out. The first time i tried, i scratched the frame pretty bad but after i kind of got the hang of it. The only problem is that you have to bang the rivet out and once you put it back in place you can notice that the tip of the rivet on the front of the nose piece is a little damaged. And as for tightening them you can use a tiny piece of a bicycle tire tube. I cut it out in a similar shape and it worked great. I never had to change them again.

bernardfonseca said:
SpliceD said:
So i imagine you used a small punch/screwdriver and hammered it out?

Yeah that is exactly what i did. I wanted to get it done and once i started i didnt want to stop. lol

Interesting. I looked at that as well, but did not want to scratch my frames. I imagine the best way to remove them without damage is to use a small press with rubber supports to take the impact.

Do you have any pictures of your work? I'd like to see how everything came apart and went back together. Also curious about this bicycle tire method you mentioned.

--

I did not take any pictures and unfortunately i dont have the glasses anymore. I am thinking of doing this to an old pair of juliets i currently own. I will try to get this done by the end of the weekend and i will take some pics so that you can see exactly what i mean. I used the inner tube, not the tire itself. I cut a tiny piece and shaped it to fit. As soon as i finish mine i will share the pics.

bernardfonseca said:
I did not take any pictures and unfortunately i dont have the glasses anymore. I am thinking of doing this to an old pair of juliets i currently own. I will try to get this done by the end of the weekend and i will take some pics so that you can see exactly what i mean. I used the inner tube, not the tire itself. I cut a tiny piece and shaped it to fit. As soon as i finish mine i will share the pics.

This is awesome. It's because of members like you who are willing to share and help out the community that makes this forum great.

Thank you!

bernardfonseca said:

Perfect! Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated. More often then not people are to scared to try something because of the fear associated with the 'unknown'. I was just going to bite the bullet and take them apart in a manner that I thought would work. However since you've already taken that step for me I'll patiently sit back and wait for your 'How-To' so to speak ;)

Just thought I'd throw this out there. Apparently VL will be making replacement lenses for the original A-Wires, but apparently it's near the bottom of a long list of sunglasses that they are currently working on making lenses for... oh well. At least there is hope for my A-Wires to become new again.

On average do you know how long it takes for them to get back to you? Im guessing they have a limited number of lense styles that they can supply too?

They replied fairly quickly after my second post on their page. I'm not sure on their turn around time as it looks like they have quite a bit of work on their hands.

Latest Posts

Back