• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet's and A-wire questions

rimi0001

Oakley Beginner
So I'm new here, this seems to be one of the only forums on Oakley's that seems to be decent. I have a few questions, which hopefully you guys can help me out with.

Alright first off are my A-wires. I've had them for quite a long time. The pair was given to me by my girlfriend at the time (who is now my wife), but time has taken it's toll on them. I've found that I can replace the rubber on them, which is great. However the one lens is cracked. I called Oakley and they of course no longer carry replacement lenses for them. Do I have any other option? Oakley offered me a 25% off discount towards a new pair to replace them, but they hold a sentimental value and I don't want to just toss them.

Now to my most recent purchase. I picked up a pair of gen 1 Juliet's off ebay. They were in pretty rough shape when I got them. However I disassembled the frame and polished it up pretty good removing the scratches with some good rubbing compound. I then replaced all of the rubber and installed a new set of polarized lenses. They are really looking brand new again. However the right side of the frame is a bit loose. The rivet on that side of the nose piece is a little loose, which after searching seems to be quite common with aged Juliet's. It sounds like the only way to get this fixed is to call Oakley and arrange for them to be sent in for a "tune up", which costs $60 or more. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have quite a large set of tools. Are these rivets something I can remove and repair myself? Has anyone looked into doing this repair themselves? Seems like it should be pretty easy to fix just looking at it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

^ I may be incorrect on this one but if I remember right the a-wire 2.0 only had different ear stems in comparison to the original a-wire. So you should be ok but I don't want to be your deciding factor as for the fact that I am only about 90% sure on this.

slvrdragn69 said:
^ I may be incorrect on this one but if I remember right the a-wire 2.0 only had different ear stems in comparison to the original a-wire. So you should be ok but I don't want to be your deciding factor as for the fact that I am only about 90% sure on this.

I asked an ebay seller and he said they unfortunately do not... I'm still not convinced though as they look identical.

You can try to contact Visionary Lenses through their Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/VisionaryLenses

They seem to be dedicated to making lenses for Oakley. I've inquired about lenses for my aged E-wires and after a few posts on the subject, they seem to be in the works.

Wouldn't hurt to ask them to make A-wire lenses. I know what you mean about frames being sentimental. I've had my E-wires since 1998 and i can never let them go.

As far as the Juliets, i know the rivets can be removed. Some ebay sellers have customized the frames by combining frames to make custom colorways. The problem is no one here seems to know how to do it. If you're mechanically inclined, you'd probably be doing this forum a favor by figuring it out. But keep in mind that the issue might not be the rivets themselves, but the unobtanium that's in between the bridge and the orbital that needs to be replaced. So even if you did remove the rivet, you might find that there's not much you can do.

Good luck!

I once combined a 24k XX with a juliet bc i wanted a 24K juliet. And ill tell you that it is very hard to get those metal rivets out. The first time i tried, i scratched the frame pretty bad but after i kind of got the hang of it. The only problem is that you have to bang the rivet out and once you put it back in place you can notice that the tip of the rivet on the front of the nose piece is a little damaged. And as for tightening them you can use a tiny piece of a bicycle tire tube. I cut it out in a similar shape and it worked great. I never had to change them again.

SpliceD said:
So i imagine you used a small punch/screwdriver and hammered it out?

Yeah that is exactly what i did. I wanted to get it done and once i started i didnt want to stop. lol

Back