• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Just an idea for XX 24K gold flaking/erosion on stem ends…..

Stryker

Oakley Expert
Before, no shrink tubing.
20150202_191538.jpg

After, clear shrink tubing applied.
20150202_191332.jpg
I have some XX 24k's and have seen plenty of gold erosion on the ends of the stems on ebay etc. I know that it can happen on other parts of the glasses but the one you see the most is on the ends of the stems. I wear one of 24k's and am somewhat worried about the erosion of the surface. I decided to get some clear shrink tubing 1/8" and cut s small piece enough to cover the end almost to the tip. I pulled back the black ear shocks and applied some very, very minimal heat to the clear shrink tubing and it works great. Shrinks and conforms to the shape of the stem. Feels just fine on the head with no real change. It comes off easy with no loss or peeling to the gold and also quite easy to remove. Just a thought for those who are worried about gold flaking at the stem ends. If anybody has any other idea or something related that they would like to share please do.

Stryker

Last edited:
Surprised, looks pretty discreet.
Yeah, they are actually are very discreet. Also the shrink tubing comes in different colors so if somebody wanted to apply these to some Ducatis they could one red tubing or clear. It costs $1.29 for 3 ft. Of the tubing.

Stryker

Last edited:
If anybody has any other idea or something related that they would like to share please do.

The x-man has recently started offering a cerakote clearcoat that will preserve an OEM finish indefinitely. Haven't tried it myself yet but feedback from others has been very positive.

The x-man has recently started offering a cerakote clearcoat that will preserve an OEM finish indefinitely. Haven't tried it myself yet but feedback from others has been very positive.
Nice, going to have to look into that. I gather that is a clear coat for the entire surface of the frames?

Nice, going to have to look into that. I gather that is a clear coat for the entire surface of the frames?

Yeah he takes them apart and does every piece. Not just for 24K but any OEM finish.

He did some experimenting with it first and it seemed to be dang near indestructible.

Back