• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Just score my first case, need help removing stains

Sal Salgado

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
Hello just found a x-metal single case, it seem to have long storage stain. I haven't try snitching yet as I don't want to make it worst.

Any advice on how to get rid off the stain?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 342
@kronin323 posted in a thread a while back about how some polishes worked.

You have two choices. Search bar or wait and see if Kronin chimes in with the answer. :)

Here's some of the best results I have had. Prep sol solvent from DuPont is a good cleaner degreaser. It is used for cleaning surfaces prior to paint in auto body applications. If you need something stronger try lacquer thinner. It's aluminum I assume so you can't hurt it. This is great for glue or other residue. The next step would be to polish the stain out using 000 steel wool. This is superfine and I have used this on glass and chrome with no scratching. You can also sand the stain out with a DA Dual action sander. Don't use anything more than 200 grit. When you have removed the stain you can then buff the surface with the 000 steel wool or even polish it to a mirror like finish using Mothers Aluminum polish. Here's some really bad scratches I removed with these methods. Judge for yourself
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here's some of the best results I have had. Prep sol solvent from DuPont is a good cleaner degreaser. It is used for cleaning surfaces prior to paint in auto body applications. If you need something stronger try lacquer thinner. It's aluminum I assume so you can't hurt it. This is great for glue or other residue. The next step would be to polish the stain out using 000 steel wool. This is superfine and I have used this on glass and chrome with no scratching. You can also sand the stain out with a DA Dual action sander. Don't use anything more than 200 grit. When you have removed the stain you can then buff the surface with the 000 steel wool or even polish it to a mirror like finish using Mothers Aluminum polish. Here's some really bad scratches I removed with these methods. Judge for yourselfView attachment 184461View attachment 184462
Thanks, I will try the pre sol solvent

Back