• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Killing Of Frogskins?

have you known of other ocp models that have affected the values of prime rare pieces? eg there are ocp gascans but has the value of flores, C100, text, or sandro dias reduced as a result? look at the spread of models for ocp, and rare official issues of those models remain in demand. the same will apply to frogskins. i am seven gen 3 frogs short of the complete set, but i will be buying none of the ocp - they (and other ocp models) are not archival, were not lens/frame paired by oakley or distributed by them or given individual part codes or allocated a set quantity of release. they are outside the boundary of complete sets, eg, i have all 9 x squared, but who can say thats false as id need every possible ocp configuration to complete? i am not attempting to knock ocp or anybody collecting them, but this type of item, or most custom glasses are seldom added to my collection. as an addendum, i guess people with petterson ice or emerald, or fragment emerald, will feel their rarity loses some uniqueness due to the ocp ice and acid tortoise emerald.

That is very true Romeo. I think one difference though is that the Frogskins were never a mass produced (at least we're told anyway) style like Gascan's, Fuel Cell's and etc, so while it's true that no other styles have been affected by the OCP options, it seems like people were touched by the Frogskins the most because they were produced in smaller numbers which essentially created the demand for them. Now that they are OCP, people feel the demand will lower and by association lower the price of their collectibles. I feel that in a sense of the general consumer market, I'm sure some prices will lower because the average consumer will probably be less tempted to spend $150+ for a pair that he could closely match in the new general releases or OCP program (besides a few special editions of course) that they could get for a cheaper price.

As far as the collectors market goes though, I feel most people will feel the way you do Romeo and know the value of the true collectibles.

Frogs may not be mass produced, but it seems like they have been producing more than demand dictates in the past year or two. Just look at all the cheap Acid and Blacklight Frogs that are still sitting around in retail. Aren't there over 20 SKUs of limited/special edition Frogs on the market right now? I think that's more of a threat to the Frogskins line than OCP.

Frogs may not be mass produced, but it seems like they have been producing more than demand dictates in the past year or two. Just look at all the cheap Acid and Blacklight Frogs that are still sitting around in retail. Aren't there over 20 SKUs of limited/special edition Frogs on the market right now? I think that's more of a threat to the Frogskins line than OCP.
Completely agree.

I agree as well, and what I mainly attribute that to is the creation of full lines of Frogskins ie: Fade line, Smog line, Acid line, BL line, and now the AT line. If Oakley just did exactly what they did with the Red/Blue line and only 2 pairs out of each of those lines were produced, and released one at a time (and Oakley stuck to the 3,000 number), we would not see the soaked market that we do now. When they release 6 glasses at a time, and 5 of those lines over a 2 year period, add in the rereleases and it is just too many. At least now with the Fire/Ice collection, maybe Oakley is going back towards that Red/Blue and "White Hot" 2 at a time release style, which would be great.

I agree as well, and what I mainly attribute that to is the creation of full lines of Frogskins ie: Fade line, Smog line, Acid line, BL line, and now the AT line. If Oakley just did exactly what they did with the Red/Blue line and only 2 pairs out of each of those lines were produced, and released one at a time (and Oakley stuck to the 3,000 number), we would not see the soaked market that we do now. When they release 6 glasses at a time, and 5 of those lines over a 2 year period, add in the rereleases and it is just too many. At least now with the Fire/Ice collection, maybe Oakley is going back towards that Red/Blue and "White Hot" 2 at a time release style, which would be great.

Yeah I'm hoping the heaven and hell edition is ushering in a new era of small releases in the old 3,000 unit production. It's gotten to the point where collecting frogs feels sort of like....I dunno, buying a Toyota Camry in any color to "collect" it, with the hope of it being rare some day. The Jupiter Camo is the exception for me. A fantastic frog, whether it's in 3,000 unit limit or not. Either they start "mass-producing" fantastic designs, or just go back to simple, timeless designs, like the heaven/hell with nice microbags and produce a real limited quantity - not just saying it's limited. It makes me a bit sad to see so many pairs of Frogskins in stock everywhere you look for them, and a good deal at discounted prices.

Latest Posts

Back