• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Kronin323’s 10,000th post – Evolution of an O-ddiction…

kronin323

Font of Useless Knowledge
Austin, TX
Welcome, friends. This is my 10K post. To commemorate, I would like to walk down memory lane and show how my collection has grown over my time here.

It may seem like I’ve been here forever, but the truth is I joined on January 18th, 2014. Yes, I’ve only been here a little over a year and a half.

I had been running with two pairs of Juliets for around seven years when I lost my first pair at the beach. Finding they were now discontinued, I went to ebay and started hoarding backups and also found this place. After a week or two of lurking I joined up…

After some planning, my first goal was to increase my count up to nine Juliets. I had actually already bought them all on ebay before I had exchange access, but I had to spend some time getting custom cuts, tune-ups, and some LG rubbers before they were ready.

Then on March 1st, 2014, I posted my first collection thread. It started with this group shot, followed by individual pics and details for each piece.

1March 1 2014.jpg

And that was it. Other than MF bags, some boxes, a single-tier stand and a x-metal polarized tester, that was all I had – no other stands, no case, no display. Juliets “y nada mas”…

After completing my nine Juliets, I decided my next goal would to be to get at least one example of all eight x-metal frames. I also wanted a few o-matters to use in situations where I no longer wanted to risk my metals.

Fast forward three months, we’re in the middle of getting some repairs and remodeling done in the house. Though I am still without a display, The Wife has an Ikea display case for her Precious Moments figurine collection. It was emptied because of the work, and for a week I “hijacked” a couple of shelves on it. This was posted as part of my 1000th post thread, my first milestone thread, on June 8th, 2014.

2June 8 2014.jpg

Now with stands, my original nine Juliets have been supplemented with a Half-X, a Mars Crater, and a XS. Also added are a pair of Water Jackets and two Bottle Rockets. Total frame count up to 15…

I still needed a display case of my own, though, and my heart was set on an x-metal singlewide. A couple of months later, I tracked one down in Houston. On Saturday, August 30th, 2014, almost a year ago, I made a seven hour round trip to pick up the case and be back in time for the UT football season opener, which we won 38-7 but was otherwise the start of a rough season. This pic was from the return leg…

3Aug 30 2014.jpg

I spent some time cleaning it up, doing some minor repair, installing some lights, and getting it staged. Then a thread was created requesting people to show their displays, and on September 26th, 2014, I posted this pic…

4Sept 26 2014.jpg

Aside from now being in a case, not a lot of change to the collection, just the addition of an XX frame and a R2. Total frame count up to 17…

When the holiday season hit, though, I had some bonus money in my pocket and I started picking up more stuff. Then on January 18th, 2015, my 5000th post coincided with my one year anniversary, and my milestone / anniversary post included this pic…

5Jan 18 2015.jpg

By this point I had achieved my goal of at least one example of all eight x-metal frames, with the addition of a R1 and a Penny. Also, my Juliet count had increased from nine to 12 (one is missing in this pic, out for refinishing), and I had added a second Mars with a custom Rust refinish, an OTT, a GMT, a HQ Bunker ornament, lenses for the XX, The Book, and various display nicknacks. Total frame count up to 24 + one watch…

Not displayed, I also had a wallet, a few clothing items, and two backpacks (Kitchen Sink and Mechanism).

On April 25th, 2015 I met up with a group of forum members in Dallas at an event hosted by Dallas O Hog. From left to right we have Joseph Smith, gameforce11, Frogskins, shofzr, Skripter2k, Dallas O Hog and his son, RickyBobby and his GF, me, joshbrinzo, and GRFMotorsports…

6April 25 2015 group.jpg

I did not bring my entire collection; left some stuff at home. Also didn’t bring any stands or other display nicknacks; really, my display was the most modest of the bunch. But, frames on this table that were added since the previous milestone post are a second Penny (polished), a Madman, a Tailend, and two Radarlocks sporting Prizm Trail and Prizm Road… Since this wasn’t everything I’m unsure what my exact total frame count was at that point…

7April 25 2015 collection.jpg

And that brings us to today, total frame count now at 35 + two watches…

820150815_133059.jpg
b420150813_214759.jpg

Top shelf is my round-lens shelf:
Pewter / Ice Tailend
Custom Rust / Ruby polar Mars
Madman XRaw clone (#151…) ;)
Pewter / Fire Tailend
X-metal / BI Mars Crater
Custom Red Ruby Madman
FMJ / Fire OTT
920150815_133420.jpg

Upper center:
Carbon / oo Red polar Juliet
Reverse “CO2” / Jade Juliet
“CO2” / VR28 BIP Juliet
Plasma / BIP Juliet
Custom UT / Fire polar Juliet
Custom Cowboys / Chrome polar Juliet
Stealth Time Bomb
X-metal polar tester
Shot glass
a1020150815_133333.jpg

In the middle:
1st gen Ti / Sapphire Juliet
Polished / Violet polar Juliet
X-metal / Ruby Juliet
Carbon / Deep Blue polar Juliet
Polished / +Red polar Juliet
Plasma / Ice polar Juliet
Honed / Blue GMT
HQ Bunker ornament #93
a1120150815_133544.jpg

Lower center:
1st gen Ti / Gold R1 (I have some 24K polar cuts to put in these once replacement gaskets arrive)
X-metal / BIP R2
Polished / Ti R2
OEM TiO2 / Emerald polar XX
Polished / Ruby polar Penny
Ti / Ice Penny
Dogtag bottle opener
HDO-3D Hobbit Gascan + pin
Type O invitation card signed by Peter Yee
a1220150815_133558.jpg

Bottom shelf:
Polished Carbon / BIP XS
Polished / Gold polar Half-X
Pewter / +Red Hatchet Wire
Raw / BI Hatchet Wire
Polished Black / BIP Bottle Rocket
Polished Rootbeer / Shallow Blue polar Bottle Rocket
Blue / VR28 BI Water Jacket
Radarlock with Prizm Deep H2O path
Radarlock with Prizm Road path
(I normally don’t have the radarlocks in the display but put them in for these pics. Not shown are path lenses of clear, Prizm Trail, Prizm Daily, and BIP)
a1320150815_133655.jpg

The Book remains on top of the case; in that tube to the left is the giclee print I got through Type O; still need to frame it…

And that’s it. Though it may seem crazy to a normal person, it’s still quite modest compared to the collections of many here. But this is my collection; there are others like it, but this one is mine…

So, in summary, I'd like to thank all the people here who make this such a great place. I've enjoyed interacting with you. I don't do the tag list thing - the list would be too long and I'm still likely to overlook a worthy person. But you know who you are... I love you guys.

I have learned a lot in my time here, though there are still others who's Oakley knowledge I will never match. I always try to help when I can, both publicly and in the numerous RFI PMs I get. But I also like to add some humor; I think humor's always a good thing, I've posted why once. And sometimes I've gotten into some shenanigans... To those who've enjoyed it, thanks, that was my intent. To those who haven't, well, thanks for putting up with me...

And a shout-out to @OakleyBoss for making this great place... :hi:

That said, it is now time for me to officially retire.

Wait, it's not the 1st... Nor is it April. Nevermind... :D

(If interested, the following posts / threads were referenced in this post)
Julietas Y Nada Mas (Juliets And Nothing More) | Oakley Forum
Case Hijack - Updated With 1000th Post | Oakley Forum
What Oakleys Are You Wearing Today?? | Page 2368 | Oakley Forum
Display Cases - Show Them! | Oakley Forum
Kronin323's Forum Anniversary and 5000th post | Oakley Forum
Texas Oakley Extravaganza Meet - April 25th 2015 | Page 26 | Oakley Forum
What Really Grinds Your Gears? | Page 95 | Oakley Forum

Last edited:
First of all congrats on reaching the 10k.it is so great to have u here and be part of this O-family.U are so generous spreading knowledge and having patience and willing to help guys that need enlighting.i have been one of those over the last year and thank u for that.I enjoye:sorry:d reading ur collecting biography although due to my lack of English it took me 2 cups of coffee so as to read it all.Lol
I know that whenever i see a post of u there will be always something new that i will get to know.You are also one of the few people that i really like their sense of humour.
Last but not least as an xmetal junkie i have no other choice than to love and admire ur great collection.Keep up O-brother

Congrats on reaching 10k. It was an awesome read. Looking forward to the next 10k post to read through. :neo:

Back