• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Laminate Flooring

Jon

Oakley Beginner
My wife and I are about to close on a house and looking to replace the carpet with laminate. Anyone have comments if you have used this product before?

I built a house about five years ago and we had carpet throughout most of the house. We pulled up the carpet and put the laminate flooring in the main entry, large hallway, office and living room. These are the main areas of the house with the exception of the dining room and the kitchen. I have to say, I like it in the hallway and office, but if I had to do it over again, I would have kept carpet in the living room. It takes away that "home" feeling if you know what I mean. Just my opinion.

I have real hardwood flooring throughout my house and it's nice, but i agree with BAPD77, i would like some carpet in the den/living room.

I also heard that laminate is really easy to scratch. My friend has a really dark laminate and you can see every speck of dust and it annoys the crap out of her. It only looks nice when it's clean.

Is your house raised foundation or on concrete? If you have a raised foundation, you likely already have wood flooring underneath the carpet.

I have a lighter color laminate in my basement. I did it mainly cause it easier to keep clean with the dogs staying down there. I havent noticed any scratches and the dogs tear ass through there to go outside. I like it in certain rooms but i agree with you guys..i wouldnt put it in a main room fo my house. It is so much easier to clean though. Mine needs repair (its 8 months old) since the washer took a dump and flooded half the room and it kicked up a bunch of seems in the floor and looks uneven now. I got my floor people coming back out with a box of replacement pieces to get it back to looking good.

We have in our rental house Laminate in almost every Room.
I hate it.
Its like walking on plastic. It is loud an slippery.
But the worst part is, Laminate is not 100% water sealed.
They all tell you it is but it is not.
So if you spill some water and you not clean it up immediately the edges of that sheet start to bend up slightly.
High-End Laminate is almost as expensive as Hardwood Floor.
Hardwood floor comes with up to seven layers of protective coating that is water sealed.
Installing is a bit tricky do. It requires a special Nail Gun.

We have in our rental house Laminate in almost every Room.
I hate it.
Its like walking on plastic. It is loud an slippery.
But the worst part is, Laminate is not 100% water sealed.
They all tell you it is but it is not.
So if you spill some water and you not clean it up immediately the edges of that sheet start to bend up slightly.
High-End Laminate is almost as expensive as Hardwood Floor.
Hardwood floor comes with up to seven layers of protective coating that is water sealed.
Installing is a bit tricky do. It requires a special Nail Gun.
this is true about water...... laminates have gaps......water gets into gaps....... water expands once it soaks in........ laminate floor could be trashed if not taken care of

i have a laminate floor by Mannington in my kitchen. 1' x 3' that clicks into place........i have to use a shark steam cleaner to clean it........I never even used a swifter wet mop........was always fearful of having water absorb and ruining the floor

it's been about 10 years and the floor has stoop up........but we've taken care of it........there are a few chips if you look close but the floor has stood up but it wasn't abused

Latest Posts

Back