• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Laser eye surgery Opinions/ Reviews

My girlfriend works for a retina surgeon, and she has heard horror stories of severe dry eye after laser corrective surgery.

My girlfriend works for a retina surgeon, and she has heard horror stories of severe dry eye after laser corrective surgery.
I have understand there is a risk, would she ever consider getting it done giving her experience and exposure? Or the horror stories are that common?

Does that retina surgeon advise against it all together?

Thanks

I have needed glasses since age 5, now 38. And I just got my eyes corrected with surgery in Oct 2013. And it changed my life. I needed to wear contacts or glasses every waking second. So bad that my hand was blurry holding it out at arms length. -4.50 -4.75 and astigmatism
But I had avoided LASIK for decades because all the people I know who did it had some side effect, varying degrees of night blindness, dryness, glare, halos, etc.
When I moved to Thailand I researched again and learned that there's a newer generation surgery called ReLex Smile. And it has almost no side effects. And for me I have no side effects whatsoever. Its minimally invasive, only one small incision, and doesn't even have the high probability of growing back that LASIK does where your vision goes bad again. The whole surgery itself is under 10 minutes. Google it, I was amazed the first time they explained it to me, and why it was so superior to Lasik.
The catch is that its not available in the US. I read that its because the machinery and the patents are foreign (its a Carl Zeiss laser), so Johnson & Johnson or whatever company makes LASIK machines is "blocking" the FDA approval of Relex Smile. It's been around for almost 20 years in Asia and Europe, and is as proven as LASIK without the side effects.
I can't recommend it enough. The next day I woke up with perfect vision, and that's why I've been buying and wearing more Oakleys, because I can and to protect my eyes after fixing them. So if you can travel to a country that does Relex Smile, I would do that instead of Lasik. One of my best friends still puts drops in his eyes constantly ten years after Lasik.

Another case of severe astigmatism here and came out 20/20. You get what you pay for and follow-up on the patients part is also a huge factor not often mentioned for dry eye, etc. Research your Dr., don't be afraid to travel to find better. Dry eye can be relieved/avoided with plugs in the tear ducts during first weeks of recovery. Likewise they can be left in the bottom ducts with no ill effects or even noticing they are there long after. I got my surgery in Vegas over two years ago, with zero dry eye effects.

My night driving experience is so night and day even compared to when I had contacts before, in a good way. My consultation recommended I go with the PRK surgery over the traditional lasik. They do a mapping of the eye so the surgery is precise for you and the focal choice you want the eyes adjusted to. The down side is a longer recovery time but it was recommended as being better for my case of astigmatism and lower chances of needing a possible second surgery as a fine tuning, price was the same and included all follow-ups and any new surgeries (if necessary) if I didn't achieve optimal results within a year.

I got LASIK in 2005. No problems at all. My eyes are a little dry at times but they always were. I definitely recommend it.

Thanks for all the feedback gents, consultation went well, currently scheduled for the surgery in a month, pending I don't opt out. Surgeon comes well reviewed and has performed over 80,000 procedures. I will still spend the month researching and seeking feedback.

Obviously the experience here has been positive.

Thanks again!

Back