• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Laser eye surgery Opinions/ Reviews

Yes, I had it done 6 months ago. I wore prescription glasses for 5 plus years. Now its as if I never had them.

There was a recovery period. But looking back now I have no regrets.
I have been wearing contacts for about 3 years now (didn't think my eyes were THAT bad) but now am considering this procedure. It's good to hear it went well and you are completely happy.

As with many things there are risks. The procedure can be freaky but its short lived.

5-10 Mins for both eyes.

Do your research and understand there are possible complications which would be a much greater burden than putting contacts in. But I believe my laser correction brought me to vision that is better than before I realised I needed glasses.

I have needed glasses since age 5, now 38. And I just got my eyes corrected with surgery in Oct 2013. And it changed my life. I needed to wear contacts or glasses every waking second. So bad that my hand was blurry holding it out at arms length. -4.50 -4.75 and astigmatism
But I had avoided LASIK for decades because all the people I know who did it had some side effect, varying degrees of night blindness, dryness, glare, halos, etc.
When I moved to Thailand I researched again and learned that there's a newer generation surgery called ReLex Smile. And it has almost no side effects. And for me I have no side effects whatsoever. Its minimally invasive, only one small incision, and doesn't even have the high probability of growing back that LASIK does where your vision goes bad again. The whole surgery itself is under 10 minutes. Google it, I was amazed the first time they explained it to me, and why it was so superior to Lasik.
The catch is that its not available in the US. I read that its because the machinery and the patents are foreign (its a Carl Zeiss laser), so Johnson & Johnson or whatever company makes LASIK machines is "blocking" the FDA approval of Relex Smile. It's been around for almost 20 years in Asia and Europe, and is as proven as LASIK without the side effects.
I can't recommend it enough. The next day I woke up with perfect vision, and that's why I've been buying and wearing more Oakleys, because I can and to protect my eyes after fixing them. So if you can travel to a country that does Relex Smile, I would do that instead of Lasik. One of my best friends still puts drops in his eyes constantly ten years after Lasik.
I was planning on doing Lasik next time I'm in Thailand. Do you remember what the price was? And since you seemed to pleased with the results, can you recommend a clinic?

I was planning on doing Lasik next time I'm in Thailand. Do you remember what the price was? And since you seemed to pleased with the results, can you recommend a clinic?
Through my research I encountered a procedure called "Smile" seemed like it was popular in Asia.

As with many things there are risks. The procedure can be freaky but its short lived.

5-10 Mins for both eyes.

Do your research and understand there are possible complications which would be a much greater burden than putting contacts in. But I believe my laser correction brought me to vision that is better than before I realised I needed glasses.
Did they warn you about the burning smell?

They did not. I was aware through my own research.

I can see how the procedure could cause sever anxiety for some. Thus why they offer narcotics for those that require.

If you control your breathing its tolerable

Book a consultation. I believe almost all places have a free consult. That will give you an idea. Usually takes time to get a surgery appointment.

The place i visited was no pressure. I could opt out at any time. From the time you're booked you can make up your mind. Perhaps watch some videos on the procedure.

My Doctor has done 80,000 procedures.

You do eventually have to weigh the options and either pull the trigger or maintain status quo.

I have plenty of time to think about it (going away for 3 months :eek: ) or I'd consider a consult now but couldn't do the surgery now because I will not be around for all the follow up appts.

I did watch a couple videos on youtube.......just wish you could NOT see during the procedure, lol.

Back