• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

🦘 Layman's Lens Clarity #2- Dillons vs Oakley vs Mariener (cacatman)

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Updated 28th September, 2021 by @cacatman

Version 1 testing here...

Just thought I'd do yet another quick Layman's Lens Clarity Test with some of the lenses I had on hand.

Scope
Tried to determine if there was any difference in visual acuity using different lenses and manufacturers.

Why Do It?
For fun. I'm preparing to do a long overdue writeup of the @Linegear Japan NXT polarised lenses for my R1 and also the @Marien matte Mariener ocean green lens.

Results (from Best to Worst)
  1. 394 cm - Ruby Prizm OEM in Clifden
  2. 387 cm - Black Prizm OEM in a Clifden
  3. 363 cm - Linegear NXT Black Polarised in a Jordan R1
  4. 360 cm - Linegear NXT Pinky Gold Photochromic in a titanium R1
  5. 352 cm - Custom cut @Chris A Hardaway Sapphire OEM in a custom @zwc0442 bone plasma R1
  6. 352 cm - Mariener custom cut matte Ocean Green lens in a @RonkPM custom copper haammerstem Juliet
  7. 346 cm - Custom cut blue Dillons in a @THE X-MAN anodised hammerstem Juliet
  8. 344 cm - @Chris A Hardaway custom cut Deep Water Prizm OEM in a Tron PB 1
  9. 340 cm - Dillon custom cut matte Chrome lens in a Ducati PB 1
  10. 338 cm - Infinite Hero OEM in a @THE X-MAN custom white hammerstem Juliet
  11. 330 cm - Custom cut black Dillons in a @THE X-MAN custom hammerstem Juliet
  12. 330 cm - Mariener custom cut matte Lava lens in a Mars
Observations
The matte lenses performed worse, subjectively speaking. I guess this was expected due to the technology used to make the lenses look matte from the outside.

I was surprised by the underperformance of the OEM custom cut DWP in the Tron PB1.

It was not unexpected that the Prizm lenses performed better.

I used a different Snellen chart and so results should not be compared to my Layman's lens clarity #1 comparison.

Obviously, the most important difference that will impact the results (apart from my personal uncontrollable subjectivity) is probably the tint of the various lenses. Base curvature and thickness of the lenses may also impact results.

Conclusion
I shall leave that up to you.

I've made my own conclusions. Either way, not to be taken too seriously!!!! But I had fun doing it and writing this up!!!

Full Disclosure
  • I'm terribly short sighted. And so is my vision. Left eye is - 8. Right eye is - 10. I was using 30 day contact lenses at Day 2 in the cycle.
  • Not a double blind study.

Method
  • Printed out standard 3 m optical Snellen chart at full blackness (normally I save ink by printing in "draft" because cartridges are so expensive in Jordan) on HP M277dw laser printer model
  • Waited for 24 hours after applying contact lenses
  • Checked that there were no clouds obscuring sun and that top of building had full sunlight without shadows on any part of track
  • Had good night's sleep. Did not do close reading or watch movies 3 hours prior to testing. No sex for 24 hours prior to testing (I find it affects male brain function for up to 24 hours afterwards)
  • Wore lightweight non itchy non allergenic and non distracting comfortable clothing (no tight underwear or woollen clothing)
  • Drank coffee (not to increase visual acuity. It was to wake brain up so I could actually recognise letters)
  • Washed face and eyes thoroughly
  • Performed all my household chores the day before to decrease chance of being interrupted by wife during test phase
  • Phone was placed in aeroplane mode to ensure no possibility of distraction
  • Door checked and found to be 87.6 degrees to floor (which is within the acceptable bell curve for such testing)
  • Wind speed was found to be <3 m/sec (micro vibrations of the paper on the door can impact test results). The Jordanian department of flight paths confirmed that there were no test flights of supersonic jets within a 25 mile radius of test zone during that time (for the same reason)
  • Placed chart in a position on the door at so that the bottom line of the chart was exactly 161 cm from the ground (which is the exact distance of the ground to my eyeball (taking into account the 1.5 cm thick nikes (which were new, to ensure that the base was perfectly flat)). This prevented any issues with parallax error
  • As soon as the lowest line was able to be read, I recorded distance for that set of sunglasses

Technique of Testing
  • Test commenced at 0815 hours and was completed at 0930 hours (+3 GMT) in accordance with standard Guiness Book of World Record rules. Certified to the nearest microsecond by the nearest atomic clock (
    16px-flag_of_switzerland-svg-png.png

Federal Institute of Metrology METAS, Bern, Switzerland)
  • Acclimatised to sun brightness for 10 minutes prior to testing
  • All sunglasses had been previously cleaned by Oakley cleaning agents using non direct touch technique and only Oakley microfibre cloths manufactured before 2007
  • All lenses checked and minimum quality of left lens was 9.5/10 (with no central scratches/defects)
  • Tested sunglasses in random order
  • Took 3 minute break in shade between test using iPhone timer to rest and reset eye
  • Investigator (me) stood erect and directly over measuring tape with tape between feet, inching slowly forward at no faster pace than 20 cm every 45-47.5 seconds
  • Pulse oximeter was employed to ensure that at time of measurement, oxygen saturation remained at a minimum of 98% (to ensure oxygen saturation levels to brain was adequate)
  • Tested using both eyes wearing contact lens and only changing glasses
  • No squinting was permitted (squinting improves visual acuity)
  • Placed measuring tape perpendicular to door and fastened to ground with tape to ensure there was no movement
  • Measured distance in the same place from tip of nike shoe (with tape in between feet)
  • Started from 5 metres and slowly moved forward until I could read lowest line without effort
  • Repeated 3 times without looking at ground until final resting position
6883F478-AEDA-4AC3-B112-D15E642668CD.jpeg

Snellen Visual Acuity 3 metre Chart
E14C1628-C082-495C-814B-1B6D15BC8745.jpeg

FCA5E51F-4538-4415-B0FF-5B2B2EE4A592.jpeg

FF2BD845-92F1-41CE-92BC-137CF925F212.jpeg

Jordan R1 with @Linegear Japan black NXT Polarised lenses
996FA2EE-E19B-4629-B057-5B1C13629973.jpeg

Mars with custom cut @Marien Mariener matte lava lenses
9EBBB865-1098-457E-B936-91F183EECD6B.jpeg

@zwc0442 bone plasma R1 with @Chris A Hardaway custom cut sapphire OEM lenses
B123449D-080E-48E0-A757-E1C3D5A5D4F5.jpeg

Ducati PB1 with custom cut matte chrome Dillons
1438822F-8B08-4199-809E-2EEB821053DE.jpeg

@RonkPM custom copper hammerstem Julies with custom cut @Marien Mariener matte ocean green lenses (BC 6)
A2012610-13E9-4362-A2DA-05CC4AAB64BE.jpeg

Tron PB1 with @Chris A Hardaway custom cut DWP OEM lenses
F15AAB9F-B8A1-4374-A638-0373462E6B32.jpeg

@THE X-MAN custom white hammerstem Juliets with OEM infinite hero violet lenses
E12B2576-3F84-4A29-B094-425A471D3871.jpeg

@THE X-MAN custom anodised blue hammerstem Juliets with custom cut matte blue Dillon lenses
5A622AD2-CCE3-488E-9784-39E792689B6C.jpeg

@THE X-MAN stealth hammerstem Julies with custom cut matte black Dillon lenses
7558CA5B-FEE8-4EFC-BE10-16A8311B2902.jpeg

Factory Clifdens with ruby prizm
F23341D7-D2BD-4A73-9572-F9994C567BDB.jpeg

Factory Clifdens with Black Prizm lenses
53AF2373-C597-421A-BC07-47BA70700A04.jpeg

Last edited:
Updated 27th September, 2021 by @cacatman

Version 1 testing here...

Just thought I'd do yet another quick Layman's Lens Clarity Test with some of the lenses I had on hand.

Scope
Tried to determine if there was any difference in visual acuity using different lenses and manufacturers.

Why Do It?
For fun. I'm preparing to do a long overdue writeup of the @Linegear Japan NXT polarised lenses for my R1 and also the @Marien matte Mariener ocean green lens.

Results (from Best to Worst)
  1. 394 cm - Ruby Prizm OEM in Clifden
  2. 387 cm - Black Prizm OEM in a Clifden
  3. 363 cm - Linegear NXT Black Polarised in a Jordan R1
  4. 360 cm - Linegear NXT Pinky Gold Photochromic in a titanium R1
  5. 352 cm - Custom cut @Chris A Hardaway Sapphire OEM in a custom @zwc0442 bone plasma R1
  6. 352 cm - Mariener custom cut matte Ocean Green lens in a @RonkPM custom copper haammerstem Juliet
  7. 346 cm - Custom cut blue Dillons in a @THE X-MAN anodised hammerstem Juliet
  8. 344 cm - @Chris A Hardaway custom cut Deep Water Prizm OEM in a Tron PB 1
  9. 340 cm - Dillon custom cut matte Chrome lens in a Ducati PB 1
  10. 338 cm - Infinite Hero OEM in a @THE X-MAN custom white hammerstem Juliet
  11. 330 cm - Custom cut black Dillons in a @THE X-MAN custom hammerstem Juliet
  12. 330 cm - Mariener custom cut matte Lava lens in a Mars
Observations
The matte lenses performed worse, subjectively speaking. I guess this was expected due to the technology used to make the lenses look matte from the outside.

I was surprised by the underperformance of the OEM custom cut DWP in the Tron PB1.

It was not unexpected that the Prizm lenses performed better.

I used a different Snellen chart and so results should not be compared to my Layman's lens clarity #1 comparison.

Obviously, the most important difference that will impact the results (apart from my personal uncontrollable subjectivity) is probably the tint of the various lenses. Base curvature and thickness of the lenses may also impact results.

Conclusion
I shall leave that up to you.

I've made my own conclusions. Either way, not to be taken too seriously!!!! But I had fun doing it and writing this up!!!

Full Disclosure
  • I'm terribly short sighted. And so is my vision. Left eye is - 8. Right eye is - 10. I was using 30 day contact lenses at Day 2 in the cycle.
  • Not a double blind study.

Method
  • Printed out standard 3 m optical Snellen chart at full blackness (normally I save ink by printing in "draft" because cartridges are so expensive in Jordan) on HPP M277dw laser printer model
  • Waited for 24 hours after applying contact lenses
  • Checked that there were no clouds obscuring sun and that top of building had full sunlight without shadows on any part of track
  • Had good night's sleep. Did not do close reading or watch movies 3 hours prior to testing. No sex for 24 hours prior to testing (I find it affects male brain function for up to 24 hours afterwards)
  • Wore lightweight non itchy non allergenic and non distracting comfortable clothing (no tight underwear or woollen clothing)
  • Drank coffee (not to increase visual acuity. It was to wake brain up so I could actually recognise letters)
  • Washed face and eyes thoroughly
  • Performed all my household chores the day before to decrease chance of being interrupted by wife during test phase
  • Phone was placed in aeroplane mode to ensure no possibility of distraction
  • Door checked and found to be 87.6 degrees to floor (which is within the acceptable bell curve for such testing)
  • Wind speed was found to be <3 m/sec (micro vibrations of the paper on the door can impact test results). The Jordanian department of flight paths confirmed that there were no test flights of supersonic jets within a 25 mile radius of test zone during that time (for the same reason)
  • Placed chart in a position on the door at so that the bottom line of the chart was exactly 161 cm from the ground (which is the exact distance of the ground to my eyeball (taking into account the 1.5 cm thick nikes (which were new, to ensure that the base was perfectly flat)). This prevented any issues with parallax error
  • As soon as the lowest line was able to be read, I recorded distance for that set of sunglasses

Technique of Testing
  • Test commenced at 0815 hours and was completed at 0930 hours (+3 GMT) in accordance with standard Guiness Book of World Record rules. Certified to the nearest microsecond by the nearest atomic clock (
    View attachment 903909
    Federal Institute of Metrology METAS, Bern, Switzerland)
  • Acclimatised to sun brightness for 10 minutes prior to testing
  • All sunglasses had been previously cleaned by Oakley cleaning agents using non direct touch technique and only Oakley microfibre cloths manufactured before 2007
  • All lenses checked and minimum quality of left lens was 9.5/10 (with no central scratches/defects)
  • Tested sunglasses in random order
  • Took 3 minute break in shade between test using iPhone timer to rest and reset eye
  • Investigator (me) stood erect and directly over measuring tape with tape between feet, inching slowly forward at no faster pace than 20 cm every 45-47.5 seconds
  • Pulse oximeter was employed to ensure that at time of measurement, oxygen saturation remained at a minimum of 98% (to ensure oxygen saturation levels to brain was adequate)
  • Tested using both eyes wearing contact lens and only changing glasses
  • No squinting was permitted (squinting improves visual acuity)
  • Placed measuring tape perpendicular to door and fastened to ground with tape to ensure there was no movement
  • Measured distance in the same place from tip of nike shoe (with tape in between feet)
  • Started from 5 metres and slowly moved forward until I could read lowest line without effort
  • Repeated 3 times without looking at ground until final resting position
View attachment 903903

Snellen Visual Acuity 3 metre Chart
View attachment 903894

View attachment 903895

View attachment 903896

Jordan R1 with @Linegear Japan black NXT Polarised lenses
View attachment 903897

Mars with custom cut @Marien Mariener matte lava lenses
View attachment 903898

@zwc0442 bone plasma R1 with @Chris A Hardaway custom cut sapphire OEM lenses
View attachment 903899

Ducati PB1 with custom cut matte chrome Dillons
View attachment 903900

@RonkPM custom copper hammerstem Julies with custom cut @Marien Mariener matte ocean green lenses (BC 6)
View attachment 903901

Tron PB1 with @Chris A Hardaway custom cut DWP OEM lenses
View attachment 903902

@THE X-MAN custom white hammerstem Juliets with OEM infinite hero violet lenses
View attachment 903904

@THE X-MAN custom anodised blue hammerstem Juliets with custom cut matte blue Dillon lenses
View attachment 903905

@THE X-MAN stealth hammerstem Julies with custom cut matte black Dillon lenses
View attachment 903906

Factory Clifdens with ruby prizm
View attachment 903907

Factory Clifdens with Black Prizm lenses
View attachment 903908
How far can you do without sunglasses, just contacts?

Back