• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

🦘Layman's Lens Clarity - Dillons vs Oakley vs Mariener (cacatman)

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Hi people,
Just thought I'd do a quick Layman's Lens Clarity Test
Scope
Tried to determine if there was any difference in visual acuity using different lenses and manufacturers.

Why Do It?
For fun. I'm on "holidays" now because it's "Eid el Ardha" ("Celebration of Sacrifice" - an Muslim holiday).

Results (from Best to Worst)
  1. 402 cm - White Radar with photochromic lens
  2. 391 cm - Carbon prime with Prizm Ruby Iridium
  3. 382 cm - @zwc0442 custom Hulk Juliet with custom cut OEM DWP
  4. 363 cm - Aluminium C-six with grey polarised
  5. 349 cm - Titanium R1 with custom cut matte gold Dillon lenses
  6. 347 cm - @THE X-MAN custom Red Juliet with OEM Infinite Hero
  7. 345 cm - Mars with Mariener custom cut matte red lens (from @Marien)
  8. 342 cm - @THE X-MAN custom White Juliet with custom cut matte blue Dillons
  9. 335 cm - Red bull (probably China made lenses)
  10. 331 cm - Stealth Juliet with OEM custom cut ruby
  11. 329 cm - @RonkPM custom Copper Juliet with custom cut Dillon matte black

Observations

Look away @Litos!!!
Surprisingly, the photochromic lens came out on top followed by the Prizm lenses!
Generally, the non-OEM lenses performed slightly worse overall than the OEM Oakley lenses with the exception of the matte gold dillon lens and the custom cut ruby lens

Conclusion
I shall leave that up to you.

I've made my own conclusions. Either way, not to be taken too seriously!!!! But I had fun doing it and writing this up!!!

Full disclosure (so I don't get hammered like @htrap2294 did)
  • I'm terribly short sighted. And so is my vision. Left eye is - 9. Right eye is - 8.5. I was using 30 day contact lenses at Day 14 in the cycle.
  • Not a double blind study.

Method
  • Printed out standard 3 m optical Snellen chart at full blackness (normally I save ink by printing in "draft" because cartridges are so expensive in Jordan) on Samsung laser printer model ML-2160
  • Waited for Day 14 of contact lens (exactly mid cycle)
  • Checked that there were no clouds obscuring sun and that top of building had full sunlight without shadows on any part of track
  • Had good night's sleep. Did not do close reading or watch movies 3 hours prior to testing. No sex for 24 hours prior to testing (I find it affects male brain function for up to 24 hours afterwards)
  • Wore lightweight non itchy non allergenic and non distracting comfortable clothing (no tight underwear or woollen clothing)
  • Drank coffee (not to increase visual acuity. It was to wake brain up so I could actually recognise letters)
  • Washed face and eyes thoroughly
  • Performed all my household chores the day before to decrease chance of being interrupted by wife during test phase
  • Phone was placed in aeroplane mode to ensure no possibility of distraction
  • Door checked and found to be 89.3 degrees to floor (which is within the acceptable bell curve for such testing)
  • Wind speed was found to be <3 m/sec (micro vibrations of the paper on the door can impact test results). The Jordanian department of flight paths confirmed that there were no test flights of supersonic jets within a 25 mile radius of test zone during that time (for the same reason)
  • Placed chart in a position on the door at so that the bottom line of the chart was exactly 161 cm from the ground (which is the exact distance of the ground to my eyeball (taking into account the 1.2 cm thick flip-flops (which were new, to ensure that the base was perfectly flat)). This prevented any issues with parallax error

Technique of Testing
  • Test commenced at 1000 hours and was completed at 1100 hours (+3 GMT) in accordance with standard Guiness Book of World Record rules. Certified to the nearest microsecond by the nearest atomic clock (
    16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png
    Federal Institute of Metrology METAS, Bern, Switzerland)
  • Acclimatised to sun brightness for 30 minutes prior to testing
  • All sunglasses had been previously cleaned by Oakley cleaning agents using non direct touch technique and only Oakley microfibre cloths manufactured before 2007
  • All lenses checked and minimum quality of left lens was 9.5/10 (with no central scratches/defects)
  • Tested sunglasses in random order
  • Took 3 minute break in shade between test using iPhone timer to rest and reset eye
  • Investigator (me) stood erect and directly over measuring tape with tape between feet, inching slowly forward at no faster pace than 20 cm every 45-47.5 seconds
  • Pulse oximeter was employed to ensure that at time of measurement, oxygen saturation remained at a minimum of 98% (to ensure oxygen saturation levels to brain was adequate)
  • Tested using left eye only (worse eye) wearing contact lens and only changing glasses
  • Opened left eye as wide as possible (keeping in mind, I am of Asian heritage!! :lol: Results may differ depending on your race) (squinting increases visual acuity due to "pinhole" effect)
  • Placed measuring tape perpendicular to door and fastened to ground with blutack to ensure there was no movement
  • Measured distance in the same place from tip of flipflop with tape in between feet
  • Started from 5 metres and slowly moved forward until I could read lowest line without effort
  • Repeated 3 times without looking at ground until final resting position
Snellen Visual Acuity 3 metre Chart
Eye test - 2.jpg

Eye test - 2.jpg

Eye test - 2.jpg
Eye test - 1.jpg

Lowest line set to eye height (161 cm) taking flip-flops into account to prevent parallax error
Eye test - 3.jpg

Measurements standardised by taking from front of the flip-flop with measuring tape in between feet
Eye test - 7.jpg

Setup in full sunlight at 1000 hours
Eye test - 5.jpg

Sunglasses randomised and tested
Eye test - 6.jpg

Carbon framed Red Bull Racing (non Oakley) sunglasses
Eye test - 4.jpg

Aluminium C-six with grey polarized
Eye test - 8.jpg

Mars with Mariener custom cut matte red lens (from @Marien)
Eye test - 9.jpg

Titanium R1 with custom cut matte gold Dillon lenses
Eye test - 10.jpg

Stealth Juliet with OEM custom cut ruby
Eye test - 11.jpg

@RonkPM custom Copper Juliet with custom cut Dillon matte black
Eye test - 12.jpg

@zwc0442 custom Hulk Juliet with custom cut OEM DWP
Eye test - 13.jpg

@THE X-MAN custom Red Juliet with OEM Infinite Hero
Eye test - 14.jpg

@THE X-MAN custom White Juliet with custom cut matte blue Dillons
Eye test - 15.jpg

Sorry, but unless you have written confirmation from the Jordanian department of flight paths that there were no test flights of supersonic jets within a 25 mile radius of test zone then I cannot possibly take any credibility from the test results....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sorry, but unless you have written confirmation from the Jordanian department of flight paths that there were no test flights of supersonic jets within a 25 mile radius of test zone then I cannot possibly take any credibility from the test results....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lol

No sex? I don't think the test was worth it.
In order to reach those lofty goals of more accurate information for the global Oakley community, one must be prepared to sacrifice oneself on behalf of others and be prepared to push one's body to beyond the limits of possibilities, nay, human endurance itself. You will do well to heed these words, my young apprentice.

In order to reach those lofty goals of more accurate information for the global Oakley community, one must be prepared to sacrifice oneself on behalf of others and be prepared to push one's body to beyond the limits of possibilities, nay, human endurance itself. You will do well to heed these words, my young apprentice.

You are way more dedicated than I am. I am more of a grey Jedi. I wear Oakley, but there is little self sacrifice. Sorry. But I am glad we have those dedicated to the life. You make this world a better place. Not all super heros wear capes.

I presumed the Red Bull lenses were made in China.

But don’t forget, the rubys didn’t do that great, either!!

True! It’s just funny because there is probably a die hard Dillon fan who’s really upset right now. Then again the test subjective like you said so results will vary. You should have thrown a walleva set in there for shïts and giggles.

Back