• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Layoffs at Oakley HQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow_Buffalo

Oakley Enthusiast
I was at HQ yesterday to do some shopping, and a friend who works there mentioned they laid off around 300 people and are cutting back on product lines to refocus. Don't expect a lot of niche items like motorcycle jackets, watches etc. to stick around. I believe most of the hits are to clothing.

News story is here as well, although it doesn't confirm the 300 number.

Luxottica Eliminates Positions at Oakley's NA Headquarters | Transworld Business

News of layoffs is a huge bummer, but a refocus and "relaunch" of Oakley isn't a bad thing as long as they can stay true to what they are (or should I say what they were).

There are many factors that led to the restructuring that happened this week. At the core of it is Lux's belief that Oakley can be much more than it is today. Lux respects the "secret sauce" that makes Oakley tick, but wants to leverage Lux's strengths where it can to optimize the business. While the brand is evolving, as all must do, Colin and the Design, R&D, and product teams are as passionate as ever to create the most bad ass products possible. Many of the key players responsible for all the stuff you (and I!) love so much are still there and are 100% committed to delivering on the brand promise. Over the next few seasons, you'll see AFA stepping up to that standard as well. Don't lose faith - there are great things ahead.

And, for the naysayers, please understand that Lux is counting on Oakley to kick ass in ways it never has. We're all in!

Surely the bunker is still valid as a bomb shelter for when the day of zombies come moaning "weeee waaaant ooooooakleyssss", Lux needs a place to hide ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back