• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Leaving Oakleys Sealed

Not a Mars...I have those BNIB but cut seal. I do have a never opened still sealed 1st gen ruby JuIiet though..No need to open those because I bought two from Oakley direct back in the day..It is Oakley's policy to open them at the store for inspection when sold. Super rare to have it sealed....And I got Jannard to sign them in person so sealed and signed. one of my grails.

I do inspect them if I can open without popping the seal. I don't do it with all just my stuff. The reason is I don't have room to display them anymore but I still love to collect and I don't want them to degrade.
But will the glasses degrade if they are not worn ?

But will the glasses degrade if they are not worn ?
Absolutely, But it also depends on what kinda pairs you have. X metal boxes degrade relatively fast, especially the foam. Lenses with dust left on them also creates problems. I just bought a pair of Ducati Holbrook that were displayed only but are brand new. The lenses on the inside were covered with dust for so long that u can see that it has affected the transparency.

I see, so we are walking in star wars figures land here ?....taking Luke out of the box to play with him ruins the whole "fun" part.
Holy ******* ****, pardon my french, and i am not french !

think i am gonna do the same with toilet paper, just buy it and never open the bags.......just going to use my hand for wiping. Will that make me one of the cool guys ?

Collecting Oakley has never made me the "cool guy", actually it is the opposite. The majority I do wear but I have many items that deserve to be curated.

Absolutely, But it also depends on what kinda pairs you have. X metal boxes degrade relatively fast, especially the foam. Lenses with dust left on them also creates problems. I just bought a pair of Ducati Holbrook that were displayed only but are brand new. The lenses on the inside were covered with dust for so long that u can see that it has affected the transparency.
:eek:......"Oakley glasses are so ****ty quality that you can't even put them on display without ruining them"
Should be their new slogan
;):cool-33:

:eek:......"Oakley glasses are so ****ty quality that you can't even put them on display without ruining them"
Should be their new slogan
;):cool-33:

Lol! Well, probably no one has ever talked about this or they probably don't care but lenses degrade in dusty conditions. It is preventable though by just keep them clean and they will last for a long long time.. Imagine having 100+ pairs and it becomes a chore.

But you might notice that lenses attract dust like crazy and I have actually wondered about this and I figured out why they do. I think it is something Oakley never thought about or made an effort to remedy. If anyone wants to know why or cares I will elaborate.

Last edited:
Lol! Well, probably no one has ever talked about this or they probably don't care but lenses degrade in dusty conditions. It is preventable though by just keep them clean and they will last for a long long time.. Imagine having 100+ pairs and it becomes a chore.

But you might notice that lenses attract dust like crazy and I have actually wondered about this and I figured out why they do. I think it is something Oakley never thought about or made an effort to remedy. If anyone wants to know why or cares I will elaborate.
I would think the polyester cleaning bag charges itself and the lenses with static electricity when you rub em´,.........am i right ?

I have a pair of rare glass lens shades that were left in the case for years. It, had a kind of a fibrous lining, like cilia, or little hairs sticking up. Ray Ban probably designed it so that it took the dust off as You removed them. After 30 years in the case, the little hairs acted like wires, and they pitted the high points on the lens. I was able to reduce the damagme with toothpaste, but it didn't eliminate the pits. They are fine to wear now, and the Dark Green Polarizehd are great vintage lenses, but I can't stand a lens that isn't perfect, so I don't wear them aside from rare occasions. Plus, they aren't Oakleys, so who needs 'em.

Latest Posts

Back