• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens Change, Iridum Peel

Hotshot

Oakley Beginner
Hey guys. I was trying to swap a set of lens from one frog to the other(both exact same pair). The first pair I was removing from is used, and there has been parts where sunblock caused the iridium to come off completely. As I was removing them(pushed from the back while lifting the top), the top edge of the lens started to have some weird stress marks, but I can tell it's the iridium layer coming off.

I decided to try to remove the lens on the other pair with caution. As I pushed it out slightly, I could see tiny stress marks on the top of the lens. I quickly stopped, and backed off.
Is this normal? Both are the Aquatique Abyss models, so roughly 3+ years old or more. I have never removed lens from frogs as these are my first pairs, but previous experience with other full frames like fives didn't pose any of such problems. Even my first pair of Fives 2.0 are ok with constant lens changes till today. I really appreciate any help to prevent such mishaps from happening again.

Here are the pics, the more blueish lens are the brand new set. I

HaoEe Puah has shared 2 photos with you!

I don't think it's normal ... I believe your +red lenses were well used and subeject to a lot of external elements (lotion, salt, sand, oils and grease)

Luckily the frames can be washed in soap and water and be made as new ... do yourself a favour and grab some +red pol lenses as a replacement because their colour I so much richer than on pol.

I don't think it's normal ... I believe your +red lenses were well used and subeject to a lot of external elements (lotion, salt, sand, oils and grease)

Luckily the frames can be washed in soap and water and be made as new ... do yourself a favour and grab some +red pol lenses as a replacement because their colour I so much richer than on pol.

Thanks! But what about the new pair? the iridium started peeling at the top edge as well, making me quite worried that I maybe doing it wrongly.

I'd use the warranty card and call. of all the frogs and lenses I have never had and iridium peal issue. that's very strange

I doubt they would honour the warranty though, I got it from a seller on eBay. And the lenses are no longer covered for life right?

Ive never had to use the warranty so I'd not be the one to ask. lenses are not super expensive so eBay is a great place for that as well. freakchops has a pair of positive red for bid right now. his name is Jason and he's turned into a great friend

Ive never had to use the warranty so I'd not be the one to ask. lenses are not super expensive so eBay is a great place for that as well. freakchops has a pair of positive red for bid right now. his name is Jason and he's turned into a great friend
I've seen it on eBay, he's selling at a great price, will be getting them soon!

If you bought them in eBay Oakley will not honor them.
That's the part which I hate. I save so much but at the expense of the warranty. But if they really standby their products and believe in them, why not honour all warranties? If they are authentic, they should perform irregardless of who sold them...

Back