• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens cleaning kit VS NanoClear Hydrophobic Lens Cleaner Kit

• Thread starter rawhite1987
  • Start date
R

rawhite1987

Hey everyone!

I just got Radar EV Path Polarized Prizm glasses and I had the choice between the Lens Cleaning Kit for $20 or the NanoClear Hydrophobic Lens Cleaner Kit for $25.

What is the difference between the two and should I get one over the other?

Never bought something like this before and the only real difference as I was told by the guy at the store was that one is waterproofing it and the other is a cleaner.

Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
One of them keeps the water off. Think of your iPhone screen. You notice that water doesn’t collect on it and just rolls off? The same will happen with your lens. The other is for removing the oils on the lens that would otherwise deteriorate the lens. If you can only choose one, pick the lens cleaning kit. It’s special because it has low alcohol content so it won’t destroy the iridium costing on your lens. However, if I recall the prices shouldn’t be that expensive. You can get them cheaper on oakley website.

One of them keeps the water off. Think of your iPhone screen. You notice that water doesn’t collect on it and just rolls off? The same will happen with your lens. The other is for removing the oils on the lens that would otherwise deteriorate the lens. If you can only choose one, pick the lens cleaning kit. It’s special because it has low alcohol content so it won’t destroy the iridium costing on your lens. However, if I recall the prices shouldn’t be that expensive. You can get them cheaper on oakley website.

I was at the Oakley Store when I was picking out the cleaner. I am in Canada so that may be why it is more expensive.

the only real difference as I was told by the guy at the store was that one is waterproofing it and the other is a cleaner.

That is THE difference. The two are different items meant to be used as complements rather than as substitutes. For lack of a better analogy think car wash/shampoo (lens cleaner) vs car wax (hydrophobic kit). That should drive the point home.

Get the cleaner (or the Zeiss equivalent which is much cheaper) if you MUST choose between the two. You can always get the hydrophobic kit later and in many instances will not really need it (depends on your use of the glasses).

Hope that helps.

If you are going to be getting the lenses wet, rained on, or sweaty, go with hydrophobic. Hydrophobic kits came with Water Jackets because they were intended to be used for water sports.

Otherwise, just get the standard lens cleaner.

I got both about 18monthd about.

The cleaner tube I’ve had refilled

The hydrophobic stuff is still about half left in the bottle. Once the newness wears off you won’t really use it. If you have to choose one go with the cleaner and don’t forget to clean the frames :cool-33:

And fist bump to a fellow Canadian. Prices blow here eh

Back