• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens discoloration

Nom3rcy

Oakley Enthusiast
Premium Member
Az
Just popped the lenses out of a pair of jawbreakers, and noticed a few places on the lens that are discolored. It looks lighter on one side where the frame covers the lens and I believe where the prizm sticker was is darker. I do ride with these so they haven't been locked away in a display their whole life. I've never noticed any of my other lenses do this, is this normal exposure to sun or something else?

Screenshot_20210514-173527_Gallery.jpg

20210514_173332.jpg

Just on the coating not on the other side.
I'm wondering if its the very early start of delamination, I don't have too much information other than its something that happens particularly after a few years.

If it's within the warranty period I would ask an Oakley store about it (not sure if it's still 2 years, or if it's been dropped down to 1 year now), since it would just grow from there.

Luxottica quality control sucks
Did Lux own them in 2015? (not sure how old his lenses are, all I know is the Jawbreakers seemed to have came out around 2015).

If it is the coating coming off, at least the UV protection would remain there (as it's in the polycarbonate itself), and most of the effect of prizm though parts that lose the reflective surface may have a slight difference in color boost or reduction (or worse yet though, change in brightness in affected spots).

I didn't see any relevant posts when I searched for lens discoloration but I've looked at a few similar threads now and see the lens stickers have caused discoloration in some cases. This must have something to do with light exposure on the lens since the other discolored spot is covered by frame usually. Interesting for this pair though because I don't wear them often, and have spent most of their life in a cabinet without any light. They were purchased from a bike shop in the UK though so maybe they had them displayed for a period of time.

It is interesting though they they block UV light (the base material) but in the end the mirror coating get damaged/faded/discolored by UV light after which could not have been more than 6 years of lighter use and indoor exposure if on display.

Back