• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens Engraving? Who Would Be Interested?

thatoakleyguy

Oakley Expert
VA
I was just over on o review and saw a thread of a guy who has a laser engraver that he has offered his services to do lenses. had some pretty good ideas for a decent price. I have a friend who has an engraver at a local sign shop and if there's any interest, I can see if he can do it and for what price.

Just looking out for you guys and trying to save some money vs having oakley etch something in your lenses for $60 plus.

Just post if you guys are interested. If there's enough interest I'll pitch it to my friend and see what he says/is able to do.

Not sure on cost, I'll still have to ask on all of that. Unless I'm mistaken the laser engraving won't damage the lens since aside from the 3D lenses, oakley doesn't do a "layer" lens. so it should only etch in the plastic without damaging the lens itself.

I've had laser etching done. The laser doesn't damage the lens but it will burn off the iridium coating where the design is.

Thanks jk-27 that what I was thinking, don't really want the Iridium coating burnt off or damaged on my lenses. But does this mean that the etching done by Oakley does the same to the coating then?

Of course. Oakley doesn't have a magic laser. Laser engraving works by burning the top layer of the material off which changes its color to a white color. Used to play paintball and that was the thing to do a year or two ago.

I would like to let you guys know...that i have a sign business, i do not do our etched/engraving jobs in-house...
but i work with a local company... and from what i know... this would definitely do some damage on any iridium coating...
and probably cause it to chip off around the etched area...

just giving my 2¢...

I've got a couple extra lenses lying around. I'll have him do a test run or 3 and let you guys see the results. Thanks for those of you who have had input as to the warnings about the iridium lenses.

Back