• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens light transmission rates

Lens transmission is very selective. The same lens will register differently on different testing machines and vary by area tested. If you want something dark, get something dark. If you are looking for an exact number, it will be very hard. Materials and colorants and lens coatings change over time.

I need some Oakley help. I have been a longtime Black Flys user, specifically the Lucky Flys. I rock polarized lenses while driving and for everyday use to minimize my headaches/migraines. The newest and last generation as Lucky Flys is being sunset do not fit and are not providing the correct light blockage I need. I am considering the Batwolf with a Prizm Sapphire Polarized lens. yet I cannot find anything that tells me the VLT or what dimensions the frame are to assist in determining if this is going to fit my massive head.

I need some Oakley help. I have been a longtime Black Flys user, specifically the Lucky Flys. I rock polarized lenses while driving and for everyday use to minimize my headaches/migraines. The newest and last generation as Lucky Flys is being sunset do not fit and are not providing the correct light blockage I need. I am considering the Batwolf with a Prizm Sapphire Polarized lens. yet I cannot find anything that tells me the VLT or what dimensions the frame are to assist in determining if this is going to fit my massive head.

Batwolfs are big and will fit.

I've been doing my own testing using a luxmeter. I figure you take a baseline of how much light the sensor picks up, and how much light reaches the sensor with the lens over it. Oakley and ESS lens rates aren't consistent. My ESS 5B Smoke Gray lens are anywhere from 15% to 18%. I had a pair of replacement lenses that read 20%. But Black Iridium seems to be consistent at 11%.

Back