• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens recommendations for auto racing

dparm

Oakley Beginner
Dallas, TX
Hi all, longtime lurker, first-time poster. I need help selecting a lens to use for auto racing -- although I worked at Sunglass Hut years ago when I was in high school, things seem to have changed dramatically since then so I'm basically starting from scratch.

These will be worn inside of a full-face helmet (meaning it has a clear visor) inside of a closed-cockpit street car. I will be racing on asphalt for 20-30 minute sessions, several hours a day. I'll leave the glasses on while I'm walking around the pits and probably on the drive to/from the facility, too.

Obviously, I need something dark since I will be wearing them for extended periods in direct sun, but I am concerned about going too dark since it might cut the contrast down and reduce the visibility of gauges in the car. Also, I don't want something that distorts color too much since I have to be able to quickly see the track stewards' flags -- they can be either an actual flag or an LED sign:

maxresdefault.jpg

dsf3a.jpg

I opted for a set of Violet Iridium Polarized in the Holbrook since it fits comfortably under the helmet and provides good coverage. I wore them outside for an hour or two that day and was troubled that the tint might be too light, so I exchanged them for Ice Iridium Polarized. Unfortunately, the IIP seems really dark as soon as you are out of the direct sun or things go slightly overcast. I'm suddenly thinking of going back to VIP but would entertain other options.

The associate at the store was recommending Prizm Deep Water since it would still be dark yet higher in contrast than IIP, but I'm hesitant to get something like that and NOT use it for the intended purpose -- plus it is rated to be just as dark as IIP (both are 10%).

What about something like Chrome IP, Emerald IP, or Prizm Daily Polarized? Or should I go back to VIP? Or is there another option I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Daily Prizm Pol... (I made a typo)

Thanks. I wasn't terribly impressed with it in the store, but obviously that isn't very representative of the outdoors with actual sunlight. Do you find the lack of an Iridium coating makes a big difference? The Deep Water seems to be very similar but a hair darker and with the unique light blue Iridium coloring.

Thanks. I wasn't terribly impressed with it in the store, but obviously that isn't very representative of the outdoors with actual sunlight. Do you find the lack of an Iridium coating makes a big difference? The Deep Water seems to be very similar but a hair darker and with the unique light blue Iridium coloring.
It's the only prizm lens I have for now... So I have very little to compare it to!

There is a SLIGHT iridium coating ... Like on G30 lenses... Nothing crazy...

Find a store with a good return policy and give them all a try if you can...

I like DDP for driving as well. It isn't flashy, but it slightly enhances contrast and works well in varying conditions. Another good option that is slightly lighter than Ice is OO black iridium polarized (it also adds a bit of contrast)

Back