• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens recommendations for auto racing

I can suggest VR28 Black Iridium (polarized or non)

Second choice Warm Grey

Yeah, everyone here raves about the VR28 BIP lens but it's not really available in many styles anymore. Like I said, I've settled on the Holbrook because of the fitment both with and without the helmet, and I'm certainly not looking for custom cut lenses or anything like that.

Yeah, everyone here raves about the VR28 BIP lens but it's not really available in many styles anymore. Like I said, I've settled on the Holbrook because of the fitment both with and without the helmet, and I'm certainly not looking for custom cut lenses or anything like that.

Ok, you're right.

I personally found Deep Water Prizm to be very similar to VR28BIP

Ok, you're right.

I personally found Deep Water Prizm to be very similar to VR28BIP

Ha, I was literally about to say that! While I've never tried VR28 BIP, the Prizm Deep Water seems to be very close on paper.

I think I'm going to just buy a couple pairs and audition them all outside this weekend, and return the ones I don't like. I really wish the Oakley store weren't buried inside the mall.

After years of fishing/driving with VR28BIP, I can tell you that the difference is very minimum, maybe Deep Water is a little bit brighter on base tint lens

Curious, why not just swap out the clear visor on your helmet?

There's only one tinted visor. Not polarized, costs just as much as a pair of sunglasses, and are a hassle to swap if the conditions change. With sunglasses, I can just not wear them once it goes cloudy or whatever. I already have to wear sunglasses on the drive there and back, so why not have something that can just be worn under the helmet?

(technically there is a second tinted visor, but it is just the same tint with a mirror finish for cosmetic reasons)

Got'cha ;) I only ask as I seem to remember there were lots of visor options for my helmet back when I was doing track days. Miss those days :(

Got'cha ;) I only ask as I seem to remember there were lots of visor options for my helmet back when I was doing track days. Miss those days :(

For motorcycle helmets that may be true, but for auto racing helmets the selection is much narrower. For casual/hobbyist racers, 99% of us just buy something simple that meets all of the safety requirements. The pros are getting custom helmets with whatever visor they choose.

My helmet is far from entry level (Arai GP-5W, MSRP $850) but there just isn't enough demand for a huge visor selection.

Latest Posts

Back