• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens Scratching

johnlcrowe

Oakley Beginner
I have a pair of Oakley Holbrook Matte Black with standard lenses which have lots of small scratches. They seem to scratch very easily. I want to purchase Prizm or Polarized Replacement Lenses.

1. Are the upgraded lenses less likely to scratch?
2, Also any recommendations on off-brand lens replacements?

Thanks

They will all scratch if you don’t take proper care of them.

Agreed that a shirt is going to scratch the lenses pretty easily, so yeah, avoid doing that. Anything cotton is a no-no.
Look up Oakley's lens cleaning kit. It's a little pricey, but way cheaper than replacing lenses.

I keep my lenses scratch free like this:
  • If the glasses have more than dust on them, like caked-on dirt or other particles, don't wipe with microfiber or anything else, you'll only succeed in dragging those particles across the surface and creating scratches. I use diluted dish soap (not hand soap or anything with moisturizers) and lukewarm water and gently clean the lenses with clean hands. (Your skin isn't going to scratch the lenses.) Immediately blot-dry afterwards with an eyeglasses-specific cloth. (No wiping!)
  • Keeping the eyeglasses cloth clean ...if it gets dirty, you'll just be wiping the lenses with that and probably creating scratches.
  • Never using pressure if wiping dust or smudges off the lenses.
  • Storing the glasses properly. If I'm not wearing them, they are in their pouch and away from where people can mess with them.
  • Having a beater pair of glasses for situations where I know I'm not going to be able to keep them clean. One sacrificial pair is a worthwhile investment.
Charles