• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens spontaneously delaminates

Maybe its a bit early or I am just not seeing the 'polarized' etching, or what remains of it... Were these etched/marked accordingly? If so, I would say this is odd. Even looking from the back something seems off to me...

If not - then you got a frame with a cheap set of lenses and this is no surprise as we've seen this before on non-Oakley lenses. I've had some that sat in heat or got a bath and you could literally peel off the coating, similar to what you are showing here

Regardless, suck that happened - know your lenses and sources.

EDIT: Mentioning that even some 'etched' lenses are fake, we have seen plenty of those over the years. OEM Fires are getting rare, so I'd be suspect of anything that looked as clean as these do. What I mentioned above about the back looking odd is the base, it does not seem proper for that colorway.

I had this happen to me a few months ago but I was fairly confident the lenses were fake. I had recently purchased it on eBay a week prior to it happening and they were in my car for a day or two. The lenses were also in poor condition prior to the incident. Overall it wasn’t a big issue for me since I bought it knowing I had to replace the lenses.

Sorry to hear this happened to you

Had this happen to a pair of oo BIP. Dropped my glasses in the bag into some really wet grass. Put them on my passenger seat till the sun came out. Few hours later they looked like that. Guessing wet bag on the lenses mixed with Florida heat in the car kinda steamed the coating off.

I’ve had similar but not so bad.

Edges chipped when installing, then Spray cleaned them, next day the coating started peeling.

I figured cleaner penetration via the chipped edges and once exposed - it’s over.

New donor lenses and your set for a few years!!

The left lens is appropriately etched. Didn’t show that as the inside of that lens didn’t have the same spiderwebbing.

Thanks for all the input. I’ve now got a lot of possible causes but doubt I’ll ever know for certain.

Will get new lenses and possibly an XMan tune up and will enjoy for a few more years

This exact thing happened to me after spraying it with OEM Oakley lens cleaner on my FatCat. It's just a risk you have to take when using lenses that are over 2 years old. The coatings are ready to fail with each cleaning and use.

It’s sad we have to consider life expectancy of our pricy sunglasses to be so short.

Latest Posts

Back