• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens spontaneously delaminates

Powertrip

Oakley Enthusiast
North Florida
Yesterday I wore my Juliets and when I got home I put them in my microfiber bag and soft vault. Today I got them it and this is what I found:

d1b913de9ac0a6700231409537e82609.jpg

2fd29541c40c2ad02b84de182734a4ca.jpg

9c3e0a55c42fea889ef4814720f8d90b.jpg

There was delaminates not on the edges of the front of both lenses and complete shattering/spider-webbing of the inside of the right lens. These were polarized lenses that came with the frames I bought off here. I’m just baffled about what happened and why. I’ve never seen anything like this with Oakley it any other brand lenses.

Thanks for looking and any input is greatly appreciated

Looks like the Frame and glasses where in a Ultrasonic bath.
I did that once and it looked just that.

Wow. Have never seen that before. Stress fractures spider webbing, but never that.
Sorry bro.

I have had lenses, I think the coating, fracture from heavy constant wind.
Motorcycle
Ski boat
Not like that though.

Yesterday I wore my Juliets and when I got home I put them in my microfiber bag and soft vault. Today I got them it and this is what I found:

View attachment 666785

View attachment 666786

View attachment 666787

There was delaminates not on the edges of the front of both lenses and complete shattering/spider-webbing of the inside of the right lens. These were polarized lenses that came with the frames I bought off here. I’m just baffled about what happened and why. I’ve never seen anything like this with Oakley it any other brand lenses.

Thanks for looking and any input is greatly appreciated
Stress fractures and substantial delamination? That’s an uncanny combination. @Atticus is most likely dead on about the delamination being a chemical reaction, had anything been in contact with the lenses excluding Oakley lens cleaner, water? Alternatively the fracturing may have caused the delamination, with the fracture causing an imbalance in the surface tension of the layers that make up the lens.

As for the fracturing, had there been an uncompensated for pressure against the lens, e.g. accidentally dropped, rotational pressure on the orbital frame?

Isn’t there an anti reflective coating on the inside of the lens and then the iridium on the outside? I’d love to know what got on these lenses to make sure I avoid it at all costs...

Latest Posts

Back