• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens Stickers Can Cause a Problem on the Lenses if left in situ - Y/N?

Do you remove the lens stickers from your display-only Oakleys?

• Yes, I remove them

• Yes, I remove them because I notice slight differences in the covered area if I don't

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Traditionally, I've left lens stickers in place on pairs I'm not planning on using ie. just displaying.

But now I'm not so sure. @shinjiplus noticed some changes under the sticker, presumably due to the content of the "adhesive" or due to lack of even exposure to sunlight (Prizm sticker damaged Prizm Road lens ).

What do you do? Is this a problem you've ever experienced?

It does make sense that a covered area of the lens, over time, will result in less sun related fading of the lens in that region, albeit ever so minute.

Part of my reluctance to remove stickers from mint pairs is that I find it hard to remove the sticker easily without damaging the sticker (not that it's a really big problem anyhow) especially when I want to keep the set as mint as possible. Using a fingernail seems to work best, but it does seem to damage the "print" at the edge of the sticker.

I have removed all of mine right away, also to check for scratches and air bubbles. And did not put them back on. :cool-20: Also, i don't put any on display, just keep them in the bag and box..... :angel:
That's a purist collector right there. It's satisfaction enough for him to know that he owns them. I feel like a half baked collector because I want to show them off. Hats off to ya, bud!:hi:

Mine stay on until I used them. Some I’ve had for years so they still have stickers. I’ve never had a problem leaving them on though.

This.

But I know of people that had issues with the Heater lenses in the Clear TNP Mumbos (there was a thread here on that even)

If stored properly I don't think stickers will damage the iridium. They are statics clings that don't use adhesive. Maybe if left in direct sunlight for literally years.

Mine stay on until I used them. Some I’ve had for years so they still have stickers. I’ve never had a problem leaving them on though.
why even take them off? Just walk around wearing the glasses with the stickers still on, like on Baseball caps

Back