• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens Thickness

ducatiti

I should Work at Oakley
I recently purchased ice lens for my X Squared. I have noticed that they are significantly thinner than the Polarized Fire that came with my X Squared.

Can someone confirm that they are not all the same in thickness? Or is it possible Oakley provided my aftermarket lenses?

I doubt Oakley sent you aftermarket (and you could tell almost immediately anyway based on quality looking through them). It is POSSIBLE this thickness variation is due to the Iridium coating. The Fire lenses have the thickest (I believe) coating of any Oakley lens.

I can confirm that polarized lenses are indeed slightly thicker. My friend was over the other day (bought a pair of Juliet's from me) and he was wearing his polarized Monster Dogs. He's had these things for a couple years now and said the lenses are getting a little scratched up. I offered him a pair of new Bronze MD lenses (non polarized) I had floating around and showed him how simple it was to swap them out. Once inserted, they did in fact have a slight bit of play within the frame.

I can confirm that polarized lenses are indeed slightly thicker. My friend was over the other day (bought a pair of Juliet's from me) and he was wearing his polarized Monster Dogs. He's had these things for a couple years now and said the lenses are getting a little scratched up. I offered him a pair of new Bronze MD lenses (non polarized) I had floating around and showed him how simple it was to swap them out. Once inserted, they did in fact have a slight bit of play within the frame.

Thank you guys.

That being said, the Ruby lens I purchased will have some play within the frame too? This is the reason why I returned the Ice lens.

Are you guys modifying it a little to minimize the lens movement due to its lack of thickness?

There's a number of X Metals that have the lenses move slightly in them. This is due to variations in manufacturing clearances (actually, given the material being worked with I'm surprised the tolerances are as tight as they are). For some reason Carbon Juliets have been very susceptible to this over the years but I've seen it across the line. I don't mess with the frames (doesn't do much in my experience anyway...frames are too resilient to be bent or the like)-what I do is grip the lens at the center with a microbag and twist the lens...this tends to lock the lens in a little more though it works better with oval lenses than square ones. If the play really bugs you, you might want to consider pulling the gasket from that side but personally I'd rather have a little play than have the frame look odd by pulling one or both gaskets.

Back