• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens tiny dust scratches

SharkSugender

I should Work at Oakley
I always wondered how TF do these oakley lens get tiny dust looking scratches that CAN NOT BE REMOVED. I have had mint xmetal lenses that were BNIB. I mounted them on the frame then POOF! Suddenly i find these tiny dust looking scratches after wiping with a clean oakley MF bag a few times and were just displayed for almost a month. I made sure they were spotless before mounting them in the frames.

I always wondered how TF do these oakley lens get tiny dust looking scratches that CAN NOT BE REMOVED. I have had mint xmetal lenses that were BNIB. I mounted them on the frame then POOF! Suddenly i find these tiny dust looking scratches after wiping with a clean oakley MF bag a few times and were just displayed for almost a month. I made sure they were spotless before mounting them in the frames.
I battle this living where the dirt has volcanic dust mixed into it. 1st thing I do is keep canned air on hand. Blowing off the larger particles first reduces micro scratching. More things I do is wash my wiping cloths twice. First time with my laundry and second time by themselves with no soap added. I then dry them by hanging them but if I do put them in the dryer I do not use fabric sheets and pull them out still a little damp. Some lenses are just cursed to be scratched and usually the highly reflective iridiums. Also store your wiping cloths in a drawer and do not leave them sitting out in the open. Just like the glasses the dust particles fall on the cloths. Other than that... acceptance that its part of the battle we all fight and most lose. I wish I could airtight all my cases in a way that would look good which reminds me. Do not leave your case lights on all the time. The electricity causes a mild static that pulls dust to it.

I battle this living where the dirt has volcanic dust mixed into it. 1st thing I do is keep canned air on hand. Blowing off the larger particles first reduces micro scratching. More things I do is wash my wiping cloths twice. First time with my laundry and second time by themselves with no soap added. I then dry them by hanging them but if I do put them in the dryer I do not use fabric sheets and pull them out still a little damp. Some lenses are just cursed to be scratched and usually the highly reflective iridiums. Also store your wiping cloths in a drawer and do not leave them sitting out in the open. Just like the glasses the dust particles fall on the cloths. Other than that... acceptance that its part of the battle we all fight and most lose. I wish I could airtight all my cases in a way that would look good which reminds me. Do not leave your case lights on all the time. The electricity causes a mild static that pulls dust to it.
I would assume the scratches would look like swirls if they were from dirt when wiping. These are just tiny looking dots

I would assume the scratches would look like swirls if they were from dirt when wiping. These are just tiny looking dots
That sounds more like a delam... Anyone around your place use air sprays for scent or flies or anything else? That is all I can think would do something like that! Maybe someone else knows... Ive not had those kind of marks happen

For sure ..you baby them.. then boom look at them cross eyed and what happened to these lenses?!

Use an airline to give them a good blast at about 20-30psi to remove dust

Use an airline to give them a good blast at about 20-30psi to remove dust
I don't have access to that. Just this. Is this okay?

268A0F4A-7B9C-424B-BCE1-FBCF4B717E8D.jpeg

Latest Posts

Back