• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens Transparency

definitely a good idea. i think this should be a sticky. even if not 100% accurate, it still gives a good idea to those looking to buy a particular lens. i know that for me personally, if you can see my eyes through the lens, its a deal breaker. so i would definitely like a reference as to which lenses the eyes are visible through.

edit: i noticed slate iridium is missing from the list. i dont have any experience with this lens, but i've read mixed reviews where some say the eyes are visible, and some say they aren't.

Ditto.

Eyes visible with Slate except in just the right light/stance when light mirror takes over...a great lens for rainy/overcast days I have it in Grey Smoke SJ 2's..not for bright sun for sure.

Lens transparency will also depend on light conditions too... You can just about see the wearers eyes thru Ruby iridium in darker conditions, but in bright light its like a mirror. Fire iridium is totally like a mirror in any lighting.

Lens transparency will also depend on light conditions too... You can just about see the wearers eyes thru Ruby iridium in darker conditions, but in bright light its like a mirror. Fire iridium is totally like a mirror in any lighting.

I found out that even with my glasses down on my nose my eyes are still invisible behind my Fire Iridium lenses. 24K might be the same way.

"Seeing your eyes" through a lens is extremely relative to the sun. Ive been able to see peoples eyes in the Chrome Irid lenses before when the light is right. It really depends on where the sun is in the sky and where the wearer is looking. The iridium coating does help significantly though, especially on darker lens bases.

how does dark gray and warm gray compare to gray? gray is pretty light to me and eyes are almost always visible. but dark gray and warm gray both have less light transparency. so how easily are eyes seen through them compared to gray? i would like a completely black lens with no iridium coating.

Both Positive Red Polarized and Blue Iridium should be marked as visible. You can definitely see your eyes with those lenses. Jade is also visible.

Violet is a no.

Edit: I should qualify this a little better. I'd say that Positive Red, Jade and Blue Iridium are semi-transparent. They definitely aren't as mirrored as Emerald or Ruby but they have some mirror to them.

BTW, I agree that this should be a sticky. Folks are always wondering what lenses to buy and this thread would help people out and save them a lot of time.

Latest Posts

Back