• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lenses For Deer Hunting

Two things you will for sure need: 1.) a contrast lens to see movement in long grass/woods and 2.) something without an iridium coating as deer will see the reflections off the glasses much easier and your position will be given away. Depending on how dark or light your situation is I would recommend VR28 for a brighter environment or VR50 if it's darker and you simply want a sunglass to boost contrast. You should check out polarized, some people (myself included) think polarization helps you see more detail (which is why you would want to wear a pair of sunglasses while hunting in the first place), but be careful as others claim polarized sunglasses can give them a headache. I would also recommend if possible to wear a matte colored frame as glare/reflections off of polished frames may give away your position easier too.

Thanks for all the insight guys! As far as weather goes, its almost always sunny in southern CA; but I will be hunting mosting in the early morning until about noon when the deer bed down. I will definately be using my split jackets so I can change lenses as light conditions change and will look into some of you suggestions. Please keep them coming.

Thanks again.

My father has hunted for over 50 years I know he prefers Non Polarized for hunting Ill have to ask him why ...They give me a headache but I am pretty sure he had another reason because he uses polarization in the car

I would stay away from the iridium lens, you want to keep as much reflection or glare away. VR50 maybe even a G40. It sucks when you catch a bead and your glasses fog up like the back of a 67' Chevelle on prom night.

Any of your rose (VR) lenses will increase contrast against a green background, they also help with fog and haze which may be an issue in the arly morning. Amber lenses like bronze and gold iridium are also suposed to be good for this if you need a darker lens.

Okay, I am about to order some SI split jackets that come with a Grey polarized and a VR28 polarized. Sounds like I might need to add a VR50. Thanks again for all the insight everyone.

Okay, so I meant to order SI SJs with the grey and VR28 polarized lenses and ended up buying the Infinite Hero SJs instead. I guess I will just have to purchase separate lenses now. Do they may a VR50 polarized for split jacket? I can't find them on the website.

Question if I may, if you can afford any type of Oakley why do you go hunting because you are obviously not starving. What enjoyment do people get from this & i can't wait to see one of those classy pictures where one sits above the kill with their weapon of choice smiling as though they are proud of their action!

After two years in MA I'm glad to be back the other side of the pond because the majority of the US population are let down by this minority culture of guns guns & shoot anything that moves!

Back