• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lenses For Deer Hunting

This topic seems to have taken off into a bit of a tangent. The ironic part about hunting is that the fees associated with licenses and tags actually help fund wildlife conservation and restoration. As you can imagine, there are a plethora of rules and regulations associated with hunting and only a certain amount of animals can be taken every year. If there were no hunters, game would become over populated and you would definitely see an increase in car accidents involving deer. In the area where I hunt, there was a year where they extended hunting season because too many deer were blocking the runway and interfering with the small airports operations. So for those of you in this thread that don't agree with hunting, how do you suppose we regulate the deer population?

Back on topic. I should have ordered the Standard issue, but I just remember seeing the infinite heros at the store an they looked amazing. When browsing the Standard Issue website, the IHs were also half off and I could not resist.

Your right Daven. Let's not hunt any of the animals because that is so 221 years ago. Instead let's let them overpopulate and starve to death slow and painfully instead of responsibly controlling the population via hunting.

Dude g26 lenses all the way, the Olympic shooting team has been using them for years. The make orange and brown stand out like crazy which is perfect for a buck.

Dude g26 lenses all the way, the Olympic shooting team has been using them for years. The make orange and brown stand out like crazy which is perfect for a buck.

G26 is great for picking up clays, but the muted colors of a buck/doe won't be highlighted too well.

In my mind G26 is a very specialized lens for clay sports only. Your eyes can already distinguish greens very well, and G26 starts lumping other colors in with that and I believe would be a hindrance during a stalk or hide. Plus the lenses are very loud and don't look natural. Non-iridium VR lenses, maybe even as bright as Persimmon or Yellow depending on the lighting conditions, get my vote.

You definitely do not want anything that has the iridium on it. (glare and reflectiveness that will alert the animals to your presence) Out of the available accessory lenses for your glasses from Oakley the Yellow Vented seemed to have the best coloration in low light levels in which you will take hopefully a ten pointer or more. Anything else save the VR sets will be too dark. Lightening up your surroundings will allow your eyes to see much more than what would even be seen without glasses. Good luck and let us know how they turn out. (The yellow have venting which will help to prevent fogging. It sucks when your glasses fog up when your taking a shot.

IF anyone can prove me wrong I will provide a set of xlj Flak Jacket Fire lenses free of charge to this quote - - -
"I have never seen nor heard of a bad gun that killed anything, its bad people who commit those atrocities"

Okay, so now I'm thinking of buying the black/blue jaw split jackets at the vault for $89.99. That set comes with the yellow and a set of black iridiums. The the VR50 lens goes for about $30 on eBay to cover my bright light hiring conditions. Thanks for all the input!

G26 is great for picking up clays, but the muted colors of a buck/doe won't be highlighted too well.

In my mind G26 is a very specialized lens for clay sports only. Your eyes can already distinguish greens very well, and G26 starts lumping other colors in with that and I believe would be a hindrance during a stalk or hide. Plus the lenses are very loud and don't look natural. Non-iridium VR lenses, maybe even as bright as Persimmon or Yellow depending on the lighting conditions, get my vote.

I have owned 3 pairs of the g26, they pick up muted browns very well against green, you must see to believe, but yes the reflection would be seen, i could of sworn I wrote that in my first comment, I guess not..

Alcapon1, somone, not sure if it was you mentioned the reflectiveness of the irididum coating. Your information was very helpful to Joby for sure. I used to wear the hi-yellow lenses for half jackets for shooting in cloudy/snowing/raining types of weather. they help out a lot but driving in a vehicle in the snow the VR series was the best in my opinion. Joby, Glad everyone could at least lend you some advise.

Latest Posts

Back