• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lenses for trekking

It's usually hard to take pics of what a base tint looks like, since many cameras autoadjust. Looks like you did a pretty good job.

But it sounds like you're understanding the basic problem with picking an all-around lens - despite the versatility of some of these lenses, nothing is perfect for all conditions; there always has to be a compromise somewhere. The ones that are best for the brightest conditions aren't as strong as others in lower light, and the ones that do better in lower light fall a little short in full sun.

So, if you're going to stick with a single pair, you have to decide which light conditions are more important for better lens performance. Or, you can do what many of us do and carry more than one pair (or more then one lens for a pair that swaps easily).

If you like Prizm Daily and have a hard time getting a hold of VR28BIP to test, don't sweat it, just go with Prizm Daily. Their base tints are quite different but they fill a similar niche. VR28BIP is a much older tint and much closer to a traditional contrast lens. Prizm Daily is new technology; the Prizm line allows them to fine-tune the light frequencies to provide optimized contrast for various activities. It's a suitable choice.

But if you decide to go with a tint that performs better in lower light than bright, OO red is a good choice, but you may want to try Prizm Road in comparison. Unlike OO red, Prizm Road is not polarized, but in an environment without a lot of reflective surfaces that matters less than you might think. Prizm Road's tint is similar to Prizm Daily, only a little brighter and the colors richer; it's quite beautiful IMO. But it's a toss-up; there's been a number of arguments about which (between OO red & Prizm Road) is better and really the bottom line is either one will work.

Here's some comparison pics between OO red & Prizm Road:

Oakley's new Prizm Lens Line

crystal clear as always kronin, thank you! :D
well, my goal is to pick a good single pair right now, my wallet is crying enough at the moment XD and I'd love to avoid switching between several sunglasses everytime.

A polarized one would be useful for me, we have a lot of lakes and rivers around here and let's not forget to mention that I live by the sea (well, I'm literally stuck between sea and mountains!) :) so polarization is very welcome here anyway.
And here comes the next question: what about the Prizm deep sea!?
I think my heart skipped a bit when I saw them.
I have Latch with polarized sapphire ir, truly love those sunglasses and the lenses, but they let too much light coming through, so I can't wear them with hard sunlight ... but I saw that PDW are pretty similar only with a lower transmission!
I've read on the forum that a lot of people use those lenses daily, so it could be worth trying, uh?

Last edited:
Forgot about OO black iridium polarized. Close to OO RIP, but a bit darker and works slightly better than DP in bright sunlight. Should be worth a shot if you can find a frame with that lens.

wow, I was pretty sure that OO BIP was another variation of BI but I was wrong! it's G40 based, which makes it really interesting.
Thanks for the idea!
Next week I'll go and ask to the store for these lenses too (and I think I'll buy a beer for the guy at the store, I think he deserves it considering that I'm driving him crazy with all these lenses! lol)

wow, I was pretty sure that OO BIP was another variation of BI but I was wrong! it's G40 based, which makes it really interesting.
Thanks for the idea!
Next week I'll go and ask to the store for these lenses too (and I think I'll buy a beer for the guy at the store, I think he deserves it considering that I'm driving him crazy with all these lenses! lol)

All of the modern OO lens line have the same G40 base, just different iridiums. BI/BIP is just an iridium color that they've used over a number of different base tints. That's one of the reasons I'm always careful to specify VR28 BIP instead of just VR28, because they're not the same thing, the latter lacks iridium.

PDW has been a trending lens lately - polarized, low trans%, and very nice looking iridium. But IMO the base tint is not nearly as nice to look through as Daily or Road.

uhm something to keep in mind..
anyway have you tried the sapphire ir? could you confirm that sapphire and deep sea have a similar color/contrast when looking through them?
if so, the battle could be between PDW and PD (at least until I put my hands on the VR28BIP and OOBIP!)

uhm something to keep in mind..
anyway have you tried the sapphire ir? could you confirm that sapphire and deep sea have a similar color/contrast when looking through them?
if so, the battle could be between PDW and PD (at least until I put my hands on the VR28BIP and OOBIP!)

Yes I have sapphire. They're not entirely different but I wouldn't say they're very similar. Sapphire has a regular grey base tint and the appearance of contrast/color to the base tint is just an effect of the iridium. While PDW uses Prizm tech in its base tint.

From a base tint perspective I'd choose PDW over sapphire but PD easily over them both.

Since you all helped me a lot in this thread, I think it's fair to let you know that I made my decision :)
Prizm Daily is a great lense, I'll surely get them in the future but not now.

The final decision was between Prizm Deep Water (on fives squared) and OO Black Iridium Pol. (on straight jacket)
Both awesome lenses to look through and to look at, but both on a frame I didn't really like (matte tortoise on fives sq and red metallic on straight jacket).
Long story short, the guy at the store felt my struggle and offered to switch the PDW lenses on a smoke grey frame from another pair of fives sq...and bam! it was love!
So that's what I came home with: a kind of custom Fives squared (for a great price also!)
Quite an unusual and unexpected transaction but hey, we were both happy like kids :)
Funny fact is that the guy then put the warm grey lenses left on the matte tortoise frame and he just fell in love with the combination and decided to buy them for himself! LOL

IMG_5484.JPG

p.s. still thinking about the straight jacket with the OOBIP, those lenses rock too!!

Back