• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lenses for when it's not so bright

KryHavox

Oakley Beginner
Canada
Hey guys,

I am looking for some lenses to put on a pair of Juliets for a cloudy day, early evening and such.
Currently I have Black Iridium but those get too dark when it's not bright outside.
Which lenses would you say be best for lower light conditions?

Any ideas, recommendations and such would be appreciated.

VR28BI (vermilion red w/ 28% light transmission w/ black iridium coating resulting in a total of 18% transmission) are pretty nice. I use them all the time to ride in the rain and on cloudy days. Takes some getting used to because greens seem almost grayish through them, but I like them.

For comparison black iridium lenses have only about 10% transmission. Doesn’t sound like a whole lot of difference but it is, since brightness perception is logarithmic.

G30 or even clear lenses might also be options.

I personally prefer violet but I have sensitive eyes.

I like to use this site as a reference. As @andr3 mentioned the higher the light transmision the better usage on darker days.

Prizm Golf is a nice versatile lens, it's best used in flat light like when it's overcast.

Prizm Trail is very contrast enhancing. It's one of Oakley's most context specific lenses. I would not recommend it for casual wear at all.

Prizm Low Light is a great lens, but specialized. It's a slightly rosy clear lens for just a bit of contrast enhancement. The drawback is that if it's not dark and overcast, you'll be squinting. I wear it in the rain, and in the evening sometimes and love it. I only use it in frames that swap lenses easily though.

G30 is still great for middling light conditions, despite Prizm Golf coming along later to fulfil the golf lens role.

G40 or black photochromics are both useful in changing light conditions but hard to find.

G30, Tungsten, Bronze, Prizm shallow water all work fine. @Chris A Hardaway can cut any lens you want :D
Get the G30 while it's hot. I have a feeling that lens will be gone from existence in under 12 months. Calling my shot here. Any takers on the bet? It's already discontinued and Oakley is just selling through remaining inventory. I'll miss that lens :(

Get the G30 while it's hot. I have a feeling that lens will be gone from existence in under 12 months. Calling my shot here. Any takers on the bet? It's already discontinued and Oakley is just selling through remaining inventory. I'll miss that lens :(

I think I have spares for all my frames ;) Works great with overcast and snow too

Back