• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lenses On The Eastern Boarder Frogskins 3D?

Ok I think he gets it. He's just trying to make a replica pair as far as looks goes.

I don't know what the lenses are exactly but you do only have a few options so you should be able to narrow it down a little

OP, do you plan on wearing this pair you plan on making?

If yes, a whole new issue might arise ... Because we need to consider that the contrasting lenses need the same base lense.

I tried two different lenses in my SJ for giggles the other day and I found it downright dangerous. Wierd as it is, I found it totally skewed my depth of field (as old school 3d glasses are supposed to do) and eventually made my vision blurry and gave me a head ache.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think

Ice/ruby

Or

Blue/+red

have the same base tint ...

I know I've seen something simply called 'red iridium' that looks like the red in the picture. I dunno if it's a real colour or a limited release for a limited pair.

And there are several types of blue on the oakley chart I seen in another thread. "Light blue" perhaps

That's my insight and 0.02$ ...

TL:DR

If the frames are for showing ... Then who cares? Whatever lens that looks the nicest

But if the frames are for wearing...be aware, opposite base tints can be tricky on the brain!

OP, do you plan on wearing this pair you plan on making?

If yes, a whole new issue might arise ... Because we need to consider that the contrasting lenses need the same base lense.

I tried two different lenses in my SJ for giggles the other day and I found it downright dangerous. Wierd as it is, I found it totally skewed my depth of field (as old school 3d glasses are supposed to do) and eventually made my vision blurry and gave me a head ache.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think

Ice/ruby

Or

Blue/+red

have the same base tint ...

I know I've seen something simply called 'red iridium' that looks like the red in the picture. I dunno if it's a real colour or a limited release for a limited pair.

And there are several types of blue on the oakley chart I seen in another thread. "Light blue" perhaps

That's my insight and 0.02$ ...

TL:DR

If the frames are for showing ... Then who cares? Whatever lens that looks the nicest

But if the frames are for wearing...be aware, opposite base tints can be tricky on the brain!
ice, ruby, pos red and blue irid (not the new stuff in fast jackets that have a VR base) all have grey base tints. the variation comes from the iridium layer filtering certain bandwidths- ruby and pos red will transmit more blues, and opposite for ice/blue irid.

thanks for the replies everyone.. im planning on wearing them.. reason im asking is that i think the eastern boarder frogskin is actually wearable thats why i wanted to know the exact lenses used..

During the transaction between myself and the Eastern Boarder company owner for the first release I did ask what the lenses were, and the reply was "there is a blue lens and a red lens, only called 3D because they look like old 3D glasses". This does not specifically answer the question, but I would suggest we are talking +Red and Blue, each with different characteristics and transmissions hence I would advise against wearing them, each lens is certainly different when looking through them. The Blue lens is almost like the Violet hue on the Greg Lutzka pair, more of a turquoise colour. Be aware there are fake pairs of this glass, the original 'all' White frame should not glow or have a sku printed on it.

Back