• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Less Smoke And Fewer Mirrors In The Exchanges

CarGuy

Finally got rid of the default title...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
I'm not sure about the other sub-forums because I mainly hang out in the X Metal area- but I'm willing to bet that the same games are played there too. I have experienced some "unusual" selling tactics and I believe that a lot of this nonsense could be mitigated with some rules of engagement.

I have seen items go up for sale and wind up sold to "friends" of the seller after others have posted PM notifications in the FS thread, seen items offered for sale then have sellers employ stall tactics to see if they can get the highest price for their item (s). You know, that's what eBay is for. Go there, list an item and see what it brings. That's not what this forums exchange sections are for IMHO. Here it is (should be) about listing an item for sale and selling it to the first person who expresses interest and is able to pay (timetable dependent upon the seller).

I think if you are going to sell something and give friends precedence then send them a PM before listing them for sale. Then its first responder at offered price, period. Time stamped with a "PM sent" post in the FS thread. Break the rules and do shady deals and you're subject to an exchange ban just like if you have less than 10 posts.

A proposal for FS threads/ sticky:

- Sellers:
- Be prepared when you list your item for sale. Know that none of your boys (or girls) want it. If you want to give sweetheart deals to friends that's fine, send them PM's in advance. Don't offer them to all in an exchange until you are sure
that none of your peeps want what you want to sell.
- Include pics from the start (not adding later)
- State your selling price. If you want to list something and see what it will bring then take it to eBay, list it there and bear the associated marketing fees that you don't bear here on this free forum.
- Honor the first PM'd posting in the FS thread by a responsible buyer with cash in hand. It is your decision whether to honor a request for time to raise funds or move on to the next buyer with funds available. If the first buyer is not qualified, move
on to the next buyer that PM'd and posted
- If you sell some stuff and this is like a revenue stream, why not give back and make some sort of sponsorship to the forum?

- Buyers:
- When you see an item that you would like to buy, time stamp your offer to purchase with a "PM Sent" posting in the thread and PM the seller that you want to buy at NET listed price.
- First come, first served. Period

I think that some transparency would make the exchange experience a more enjoyable one for all concerned. Sellers won't have to remember their tangled webs and buyers can see what is really going on. If sellers just want to troll their item rather than sell it to a member here for the listed price, then take it to eBay and don't bother listing it here. Don't follow the rules and receive a ban from exchange sections for X days.

Obviously this is not my forum, respectfully submitted.

The only problem I have with that "pm sent/pm replied" stuff is that it's used to bump posts unnecessarily. I remember one thread that was literally 3 pages of it and it stayed at the top for days because of that. I understand trying to timestamp offers etc but at the same time, it gets really old seeing the same thread bumped and bumped and bumped and no deal ever being made.

I agree on all accounts. As a seller I try to be fair and respond to the first person that PM'd me, regardless if they posted it or not.

Also people need to stop posting if they aren't interested in any of the items. The latest WTT Muraski Holbrook thread is a great example of why people need to butt out.

Not to mention that lately I have people that PM me, then get mad when they are first but I don't want to accept their offer because they don't want to pay my asking price.

A lot of people have been slowing smoke lately.

The only problem I have with that "pm sent/pm replied" stuff is that it's used to bump posts unnecessarily. I remember one thread that was literally 3 pages of it and it stayed at the top for days because of that. I understand trying to timestamp offers etc but at the same time, it gets really old seeing the same thread bumped and bumped and bumped and no deal ever being made.

Agreed, but all that is needed is "PM sent" to date stamp. No need for "PM replied" posts that chew up bandwidth.

I agree on all accounts. As a seller I try to be fair and respond to the first person that PM'd me, regardless if they posted it or not.

Also people need to stop posting if they aren't interested in any of the items. The latest WTT Muraski Holbrook thread is a great example of why people need to butt out.

Agreed, posts to WTS theads only need to be the OP, PM sent and sold please close.

I need to filter myself in this regard too. I was recently dinged for this by X Metal Maniac and I was guilty as charged.

Not to mention that lately I have people that PM me, then get mad when they are first but I don't want to accept their offer because they don't want to pay my asking price.

A lot of people have been slowing smoke lately.

Those people should post "Lowball PM sent" :biggrin: or "Alternate offer PM'd" then other potential buyers would instantly know that offerer's position and PM the seller with an offer to buy at posted price. I would not feel a need to reply to a lowball PM until there are no offers at posted price.

Ultimately it's not policeable, you can't make someone sell to someone else, the same as a seller doesn't have to sell their item to the highest bidder on eBay if they don't want to. Yes the seller may get a negative reputation as a result but that's a choice they make.

We're all wise enough to see when someone is trolling, and we can all move on if a deal doesn't suit us.

I don’t believe it is realistic to try to enforce this, simply put the seller may choose to sell to someone else for various reasons (i.e.; no feedback on the first PM'er) and that is his choice. The talk of banning someone for selling to whom he thinks is a better option for whatever reason is crazy, now if he puts off the sale and is returning emails saying do you have a better offer than what I have already received or in hopes of someone offering more than his asking price that’s different... And on trades this is all a matter of subjectivity, maybe he doesn’t want your Gascans but he will want someone’s Fuel Cells... Just my opinion....

No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service...

I know what everyone is saying but almost everyone on this forum has posted at least one or two post on a for sale thread that didn't have to be there just like I did on the WTT Mursaki Holbrook thread because I was just just interested in the value of the item he was trading?? I didn't feel like I was hurting anyone by doing this and if I offended someone I'm sorry, but no one can say they havent done something like that before. Just me 2 cents!!

Until recently I only purchased on here. But in the last couple weeks of selling stuff, I've done this as well. What is painful is when the second PM is more favorable than the first one, but you have to accept the first one anyway.

While the PM Sent posts will bump up the thread, I think it also helps the potential buyers. If I am trying to decide whether to purchase an item, seeing a lot of interest in it will speed up my decision. The lack of "PM Sent" posts tells me that I can offer a lower price than they're asking.

I don’t believe it is realistic to try to enforce this... Just my opinion....

No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service...

Ultimately it's not policeable

I don't think I postulated to the extent that it is policeable, merely noted that it would probably be helpful to state the protocol for how WTS ads should be run. A uniform system for listing/ selling wouldn't hurt.

you can't make someone sell to someone else, the same as a seller doesn't have to sell their item to the highest bidder on eBay if they don't want to. Yes the seller may get a negative reputation as a result but that's a choice they make.

There is no feedback meter in OF exchanges like there is on eBay.

We're all wise enough to see when someone is trolling, and we can all move on if a deal doesn't suit us.

Yes, I moved on today in fact.

Back