• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Life Event

Had my third round of chemotherapy yesterday. First time using the port a cath. Wasn’t as easy as I was led to believe. The nurse had to scrub the area where they were going to insert the needle. He said I have to sterilize it for 60 seconds. He applied a lot of pressure and I was gripping the chair trying to push away but it didn’t matter. Very uncomfortable!

His first attempt to get the needle into the port failed. He was trying to feel the three nipples on top of the port so he could insert the needle in the middle of that triangle. We will call that the bullseye. He missed. As you can imagine I’m sweating now and growing anxious because we haven’t even started.

The head nurse comes over and now I have to endure another 60 second scrub down and then she tries. The needle is on the end of a bottle cap sized plug with the IV tube attached. It is a 90degree object. The needle itself is approximately 3/4 inch and has a dog legs tip so it doesn’t fall out. With considerable force she shoves it in quite deep.

Side note I was never informed I should have been given lidocaine to apply at home before arriving which would have numbed the area. Lessons learned.

They hit me with the usual steroids, Benadryl, Pepcid etc and then open up the Chemo IV. She said it’s going to feel weird the first time. Understatement. I felt it going directly into my heart and radiating out to parts of my body. I started to feel sick to my stomach. I was told relax and try not to fight it. My vision was slighted blurred and I began feeling warm. They said my skin color got red but it began to dissipate so they continue and there was no need to rechallenge the treatment .

Total of three hours and I was done. I walked out feeling really weak and tired. I told my wife just get me home. It was cold and very windy as I walked out of the hospital. Feeling shaky I got home and immediately had to use the bathroom three times in 15 minutes. I was unsure what was happening. I had hot flashes for the rest of the day and was sweating numerous times. Didn’t sleep but 3 1/2 hours last night.

My good news story was my test results. You may remember I has a PSA that was through the roof at one thousand six hundred ninety. Normal range is between 1 and 4. Yesterday I scored a 2.23. My wife cried And gave me a hug.

It was a great day overall.

So sorry to read that you’re going through this, but glad that you’re doing better and better as time passes. Quick question - did I buy a case from you? I think I did but not sure if I’m remembering the correct member name. Wishing you the best …

So sorry to read that you’re going through this, but glad that you’re doing better and better as time passes. Quick question - did I buy a case from you? I think I did but not sure if I’m remembering the correct member name. Wishing you the best …
Yes, I came to your place and we set it up. It was a RX case. Pleasure meeting you and talking. Hope all is well.

Had my third round of chemotherapy yesterday. First time using the port a cath. Wasn’t as easy as I was led to believe. The nurse had to scrub the area where they were going to insert the needle. He said I have to sterilize it for 60 seconds. He applied a lot of pressure and I was gripping the chair trying to push away but it didn’t matter. Very uncomfortable!

His first attempt to get the needle into the port failed. He was trying to feel the three nipples on top of the port so he could insert the needle in the middle of that triangle. We will call that the bullseye. He missed. As you can imagine I’m sweating now and growing anxious because we haven’t even started.

The head nurse comes over and now I have to endure another 60 second scrub down and then she tries. The needle is on the end of a bottle cap sized plug with the IV tube attached. It is a 90degree object. The needle itself is approximately 3/4 inch and has a dog legs tip so it doesn’t fall out. With considerable force she shoves it in quite deep.

Side note I was never informed I should have been given lidocaine to apply at home before arriving which would have numbed the area. Lessons learned.

They hit me with the usual steroids, Benadryl, Pepcid etc and then open up the Chemo IV. She said it’s going to feel weird the first time. Understatement. I felt it going directly into my heart and radiating out to parts of my body. I started to feel sick to my stomach. I was told relax and try not to fight it. My vision was slighted blurred and I began feeling warm. They said my skin color got red but it began to dissipate so they continue and there was no need to rechallenge the treatment .

Total of three hours and I was done. I walked out feeling really weak and tired. I told my wife just get me home. It was cold and very windy as I walked out of the hospital. Feeling shaky I got home and immediately had to use the bathroom three times in 15 minutes. I was unsure what was happening. I had hot flashes for the rest of the day and was sweating numerous times. Didn’t sleep but 3 1/2 hours last night.

My good news story was my test results. You may remember I has a PSA that was through the roof at one thousand six hundred ninety. Normal range is between 1 and 4. Yesterday I scored a 2.23. My wife cried And gave me a hug.

This is hard to read, my heart hurts for you but your positive attitude is fantastic….stay strong

Thoughts and prayers goes out to you Bro. Puts what’s going on in my life in a whole different perspective. May you have a blessed week Bro. Stay strong and mahalo for you inspiration. :cool-33:🤙

Back