• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Life Event

I cannot adequately put into words the strength you are continually showing, along with the courage to share this with us all.

You are a bad ass my friend. I sincerely thank you for helping detail your experiences. My Dad battled lung cancer, and being able to read and understand your journey while you share your experiences is powerful beyond explanation.

Thank you

I cannot adequately put into words the strength you are continually showing, along with the courage to share this with us all.

You are a bad ass my friend. I sincerely thank you for helping detail your experiences. My Dad battled lung cancer, and being able to read and understand your journey while you share your experiences is powerful beyond explanation.

Thank you
I wore my Dillons one day. The girls looked at me and said, “Oh my that’s scary” I responded Yea I wanted to let the bag of chemo know what it’s up against…

I wore my Dillons one day. The girls looked at me and said, “Oh my that’s scary” I responded Yea I wanted to let the bag of chemo know what it’s up against…
Hell yeah brother, love your attitude and disposition!

Looking forward to cutting a remission set in celebration of your victory.

It’s been a little over two months and I am at the halfway point in my treatment. As I prepare for the next cycle of chemotherapy this upcoming Wednesday I’ve had time to reflect on my journey.

In January I remember how much pain I had in my back and legs. Finding it difficult to walk I was scared and rightfully so. I still don’t understand the reason for such a dramatic decline. I began using a walker to get around the house and recall banging against doorways and down the hall when my wife had meals prep. Thankfully I can say I no longer need the walker as I had in the past.

The strength in my legs was nonexistent back then. Going to the bathroom involved trying to sit from a standing position with nothing to brace myself. Once seated I had no way to boost myself up. I tried grabbing the door knob as an anchor. Stepping in and out of the shower was equally slow and methodical as I feared falling and sustaining injury. Today I am able to walk without assistance and other than feeling stiff at times I am a world away from a few months ago.

I’ve experienced more discomfort and fatigue as each treatment successively builds up in my system. The number of bad days outnumbers the good but despite that I remain positive. I believe anything worth doing requires sacrifice. I take advantage of those good days by doing normal activities. The difference is I no longer take them for granted.

The chemotherapy makes me very tired. There are days when I don’t necessarily sleep but just close my eyes and don’t move. One day I feel ok and the next I wake up with a lot of pain in my neck, arms, shoulders and stomach. The hypersensitivity is the worst. Showering continues to be a terrible chore but even the clothes I wear rubbing against my skin induce pain. One morning I woke up and my thighs were on fire. I went into the bathroom and dropped my pants expecting to see them red and inflamed. Nothing. Imagine taking a wire brush and scrubbing your thighs. That’s what it felt like.

I‘ve been more accepting that this is how my life is for now. I went through several stages of emotion. Feeling less sad now than in the beginning, I read a fellow cancer patient’s quote how the disease was the best thing that ever happened to him. Too much to explain here I can only say I know what that statement means. It separates that which matters and that which does not.

Still at odds with State disability insurance and with the way my claim is being handled. I was granted benefits but rather than what my doctors requested they are only granting me about thirty days each time which forces me to file an extension. This results in my benefits being interrupted and no one wants to take responsibility for the lapse of funds being deposited in my account.

I may have talked about my test results before. They are the biggest motivator when it comes to how well the treatment is supposedly working. Starting with a PSA prostate specific antigen of 1690, I dropped to 227 after three weeks, 11.9 by week six and after nine weeks my number is now 2.23. I want to be below 1 this time.

I have great friends who routinely ask how I’m doing and my family is equally supportive. My wife is coping better and I haven’t felt the need to shield her from my pain as much. I’d like to think she has renewed hope I will thrive. We were able to go to dinner with my wife’s aunt and cousin a few days ago. They all said I looked good. Hearing that made me think, if people can say that about you and truly mean it after going through this I’ve got to be winning. It shows!

Treatment number 4 today. Happy to report it went better than anticipated. The lidocaine made a big difference in my opinion. Barely felt the needle this time in or out. I asked for the lead nurse to access the port. She successfully did it with no issues. Everyone else has struggled. My advice is be vocal. Advocate for yourself. Don’t tolerate interns practicing on you. Just say I’d like someone else.

The treatment went smoothly. To be fair they increased the dosage of steroid and the Oncologist is recommending oral steroids the day before and after next time as a result of my side effects. Tell your doctor about everything you are feeling. More information is better for you. Don’t hold back.

Lastly my PSA results came back down once again. I’m at .91. I am very grateful. It has been a good day!

Back