• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Life Event

first off, ive wondered where you have gone. havent heard you chime in a while. We all get busy in life.

Right now, I have an almost 1 year old child. So i understand your perspective on life focus. We all get carried away in our hobbys. At times it helps with the monotony of daily life.

I hope you get the needed support from the people who know you best. Wish you all the best in your recovery. Things are things, but i see a passion beyond reason, which is why the passion still burns with me to continue the journey of O.

Be good my friend. If you need anything, feel free and PM.

S

So many genuine thoughts here from everyone. Much appreciated. It’s saddening to hear of so many others impacted by it but at the same time it’s motivating to hear of those battling through it and having fulfilling lives with family and friends. I intend to share what I can along the way. Not looking to drag people down but it’s important to understand what’s going on. Hopefully it inspires someone to get tested.

So far I have had a prostate exam, a biopsy, a PSMA scan from neck to thigh and first round of chemo was last Wednesday. Normal psa (prostate specific antigen) is a 2-3. My number was 1,690. I’m taking hormone therapy and the number dropped to 227 in just three weeks. Insurance denied the prescription so now I need to fight with them to get an appeal. The biopsy showed a Gleason score of 9. Slow growing is around 6, between 7-8 is moderate and a 9-10 puts me in the very aggressive high risk category.

Nothing is easy. Next round of chemo is in two weeks. Praying all goes well.

Sorry to hear that Brother! We are all humans and I feel terrible hearing something like this even if you are miles away. I lost my father of Cancer last year and he was a warrior until the end but probably had fewer chances than you might have since you already started Chemo :) My thoughts and prayers Brother!

I wish you well. Thank you for the insight, as I sit at my desk burying my head in work, I too realize I have a bunch of "stuff" and need to be better for myself and my family. I don't want to pass on a legacy of hoarding but want to communicate that the valuable part is the journey, the battle, and the pursuit.

Thanks for the reminder to Be Better. You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers.

For those who would like more information, have a blood test and tell the lab you want them to check your PSA. So many of us have had bloodwork and we usually get things like triglycerides, cholesterol and other factors evaluated. Unless the doctor asks for your PSA it’s a number they simply don’t relay to you. Once your PSA reaches a 4-5 it’s considered elevated. 8-10 is concerning and a biopsy or at least a prostate exam is required. You can imagine how blown away I was to hear 1,690.

The antigen is what the cancer feeds on. The first step is typically
hormone therapy to stop the body from producing testosterone. That’s what accelerates the process. Cut off the testosterone , lower the PSA and starve the cancer cells. The body produces testosterone in the adrenal glands too but in smaller amounts. I take two different pills to control it. 30 pills is $4,000. Insurance denied covering the drug. That’s $48,000 a year.

Do not wait.

Medusa50, I got 'tested' a couple of days ago: what is there to fear about a man I had only just met, sticking his fingers up my bum?..... NOTHING. It's looked(frowned) upon as being something, 'real men' don't need to worry about. Why, it's the 21 Century people, we live in more enlightened times. If, after 50, you're expected to go for a check up, DO IT!​

I'm glad to see you're taking a pragmatic aproach, Positive Mental Attitude is what is needed to fight, to keep your mind active and body in good shape. You're going to need every ounce of it, to stay focused on defeating this 'invisible assailant'.​

All the best my friend.​

Medusa50, I got 'tested' a couple of days ago: what is there to fear about a man I had only just met, sticking his fingers up my bum?..... NOTHING. It's looked(frowned) upon as being something, 'real men' don't need to worry about. Why, it's the 21 Century people, we live in more enlightened times. If, after 50, you're expected to go for a check up, DO IT!​

I'm glad to see you're taking a pragmatic aproach, Positive Mental Attitude is what is needed to fight, to keep your mind active and body in good shape. You're going to need every ounce of it, to stay focused on defeating this 'invisible assailant'.​

All the best my friend.​

It’s easy to come up with excuses not to go. Imagine how hard it would be to tell your family you’ll be leaving them all alone because you were simply afraid or in denial. No one’s family should have to go through that. Good luck.

It’s easy to come up with excuses not to go. Imagine how hard it would be to tell your family you’ll be leaving them all alone because you were simply afraid or in denial. No one’s family should have to go through that. Good luck.
When it comes down to it, it's the potential consequences outweigh the embarresment or fear. Afterall, the only thing to fear, is fear itself.

Back