• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lifespan of Oakley Lenses

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Fellow Australian, @jdd32 had this to say about Lifespan of Oakley lenses and I thought it was worth sharing in it's own thread. What do you people think about it? I'm a little surprised, because most of the lenses I have are 10+ years old, but what Ron says makes sense too. I think what he's saying is for us to adjust our expectations!

"To be fair, the Oakley lenses are no more fragile than other lenses as they utilise the same coating technologies that are universally used for all lenses in the eye wear industry. In fact, One must remember that there is a lifespan attached to every object sold to customers. Industry standards for any optical lenses are 2 years in general. The reason is a valid ophthalmic prescription should only last 2 years, so therefore the industry expectation is that the customers would renew prescriptions and eyewear every 2 years. Hence the underlying coating and lens fabrication technologies are made with that level of expectation.

Some lenses can last more than the said bare minimum expectation of 2 years, as many of us have found them to last 5, 10, or even 15 years depending on:
1. How we use them (eg. at the beach vs. in the car),
2. How we store them (eg. baked on the car dashboard daily or stored in an office desk drawer), and
3. The severity of the environment we subject them (eg. do we have a medical condition of acidosis or are we wearing it under excessive sweat exposure in sports)

Know that when you buy lenses of any kind, they have a lifespan and treat it as a consumable part of the product that need to be replaced at least once every 2 years; any more mileage you get out of it is a bonus and therefore you won't get disappointed. Buying an Oakley lens may or may not last longer than other aftermarket lenses, but know that Oakley is renowned for their patented technologies with optical lenses especially in the areas of functional Iridium mirror coatings that enhance your vision and deliver optical clarity and contrast rather than the typical selling points of UV protection and a fashion statement ("ooo Ii'm wearing a deep red lens!")

EDIT: forgot to mention, the Oakley lenses are also considerably thicker than most aftermarket lenses and as a result have very good impact protection for your eyes. Some aftermarket lenses are so thin and cheap in the construction of the lens material that the lenses would structurally fail even if you attempt to 'pop' a lens into the frame."

Replacement Lenses

How badly does heat affect the lens? I usually leave my glasses hooked onto my rear view mirror. I recently purchased a Juliet with BIP lenses that had no issues. I left it in my car and noticed some delimitation on the top of the lens a day later. No idea if this was the cause, but not sure how else it would have happened?

I forgot to mention that I have a pair of Gascan's with Vr28 BIP that I've had for 8 years. Lenses look brand new :)

I replaced my oem lenses with cheap ebay ones they bake in the sun daily, my spys have original in them there about 7 years on those. My spys still look new. But I wear the crap out of my oaks and destroyed the original ones, the cheap ones have about 4 years on them now.
Both pair go through same stuff, and the lenses look basically like new.

Last edited:
How badly does heat affect the lens? I usually leave my glasses hooked onto my rear view mirror. I recently purchased a Juliet with BIP lenses that had no issues. I left it in my car and noticed some delimitation on the top of the lens a day later. No idea if this was the cause, but not sure how else it would have happened?

I forgot to mention that I have a pair of Gascan's with Vr28 BIP that I've had for 8 years. Lenses look brand new :)
Hi @Zax,
I think the consensus would be to never leave your glasses in a hot environment. It will accelerate deterioration of the rubbers and the lenses.

Oakley lenses are fragile already!!

I dunno, I think it depends on where you buy them from. I've had lenses that were scratched before they even left the store where I bought 'em! LOL.

I replaced my oem lenses with cheap ebay ones they bake in the sun daily, my spys have original in them there about 7 years on those. My spys still look new. But I wear the crap out of my oaks and destroyed the original ones, the cheap ones have about 4 years on them now.
Both pair go through same stuff, and the lenses look basically like new
Sounds incredible.......I think people have different opinions of "look like brand new."
When i say never worn/brand new, i mean flawless, no spots, no gas bubbles and of course not even the tiniest scratch.......if i received something from oakley that had any of those things, in my custom or stock glasses, i always sent them back immediately.

It seems heat and humidity will accelerate any flaws. So if there is a tiny bit of delamination it will worsen faster if left in a car on a hot day.

I have 1. gen Ice Juliets that have been offshore sailing many times and been used for everything since they came out and no issues at all (did get a few marks from falling on gravel though :() so luck probably comes into it as well.

Latest Posts

Back