• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lifespan of Oakley Lenses

For what it's worth, this was written 8 years ago....
The cleaning solution from Sunglass hut, unless it's the Oakley branded solution is NOT the same. Oakley reformulated it's cleaning solutions about a year ago because they found that the generic formulation (same as everyone else, just different bottle) was not reacting well to the new hydro- and olio- phobic lens coatings that they were using. GEneric cleaning solution had too much alcohol content and was essentially burning off the coating.

Remember, Oakley uses a prioprietary/patented blend of Polycarbonate in its lenses and thus the cleaning solution is made to preserve the lens.

Side note- polycarbonate and Lexan do not react well with ammonia based cleaners. That is why you never use windex or such to clean Oakley lens.

Another benefit to using the Oakley solution- when you buy the oakley kit- you get FREE REFILLS for life. Just take the empty bottle to an oakley store, Oakley Vault, etc. and they will refill it for you for free.

HTH,
D
Hell, I've bought it at Oakley and refilled at SGH. Life is too short to hoard all the Oakley solution. I'll stick to my instincts and continue to use the SGH stuff. I've been good to go all this time.

Sent from Q's S8+

Hell, I've bought it at Oakley and refilled at SGH. Life is too short to hoard all the Oakley solution. I'll stick to my instincts and continue to use the SGH stuff. I've been good to go all this time.

Sent from Q's S8+
Yeah, I mean you are more likely to damage your sunglasses with the cloth you are cleaning them with than the lens cleaning solution obtained at a reputable eyewear retailer...

I have had some of my Oakley's for over 20 years. If you take good care of them they can last forever. The lenses are a little scratched up but in places I can barley notice. Eventually I will switch them but for now I'm trying out my new Holbrooks

Back